CIRES Arctic Atmospheric Boundary Layer Post-Doc
Areas of Intereset: Research
Functional Areas: Research Institutes and Labs
Department: Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences (CIRES)
Requisition Number: 13923
Location: Boulder, Colorado
Employment Type: Research Faculty
We seek a postdoctoral research associate to conduct research on the physics of the lower Arctic atmosphere as part of the MOSAiC. ([https://www.mosaic-expedition.org)
Who We Are
At CIRES, the Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences, more than 800 environmental scientists work to understand the dynamic Earth system, including people’s relationship with the planet. CIRES is a partnership of NOAA and the University of Colorado Boulder, and our areas of expertise include weather and climate, changes at the Earth’s poles, air quality and atmospheric chemistry, water resources, and solid Earth sciences. Our vision is to be instrumental in ensuring a sustainable future environment by advancing scientific and societal understanding of the Earth system.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
Under MOSAiC, our group will deploy personnel to the Arctic Ocean on the Polarstern icebreaker between February and August 2020. During these deployments, researchers will operate a suite of unmanned aerial systems (UAS) to observe the atmospheric boundary layer and key quantities related to the surface energy budget. Research questions we plan to address with this project focus on the impact of varying sea ice thickness on surface fluxes and boundary layer structure, the role of leads in modifying the boundary layer and clouds, and the seasonal evolution of spatial variability in surface radiative fluxes as driven by variable sea ice and snow conditions. The successful applicant will take part in a roughly 3-month field deployment on the Polarstern during which time they will assist and conduct both fixed wing and rotorcraft UAS flights. After this field campaign the postdoctoral research associate will be expected to conduct original research on the topics above, both independently and as part of the larger MOSAiC team, ultimately resulting in the publication and presentation of results.
What You Should Know
CIRES commits to inclusive excellence by advancing equity and diversity in all that we do. We are an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer, and encourage applications from members of historically underrepresented racial/ethnic groups, women, individuals with disabilities, veterans, LGBTQ community members, and others who demonstrate the ability to help us achieve our vision of a diverse and inclusive community.
What We Can Offer
We can offer a competitive salary, commensurate with experience.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder.
Be Adventurous. Be Engaged. Be Boulder.
What We Require
- A PhD in Atmospheric Science or a related field.
- Previous lead author publications in the peer reviewed scientific literature.
- Ability and willingness to work in a remote (high Arctic) research environment for 3 months.
What You Will Need
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work both independently and in a team environment.
What We Would Like You To Have
- Familiarity with atmospheric boundary layer research.
- A background in Arctic atmospheric research.
- Experience using unmanned aircraft.
- Experience analyzing observational data from a variety of sources.
- Strong computational skills (e.g. Python, Matlab, NCAR command language, IDL).
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- Cover letter briefly describing your qualifications, professional goals, and specific interest in this position.
- Proof of degree in either a transcript confirming highest degree or a copy of diploma.
- List of contact information for 3 references who would be willing to write a recommendation letter if you are selected as the finalist.
- If you are selected as the finalist, we will contact you through email and request that you submit 1 name and email of a reference who will be asked to submit a letter of recommendation (can be one of the 3 noted above). This information will be kept confidential and viewable only the search committee.
Screening will begin immediately, and applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Posting Contact Name: Gijs de Boer
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
The University of Colorado is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer