Areas of Intereset: Faculty/Instruction
Functional Areas: Research & Innovation Office
Department: Program in Environmental Design
Requisition Number: 14284
Location: Boulder, Colorado
Employment Type: Faculty
Now accepting applications for two Assistant Professor Positions in Environmental Design, at the University of Colorado Boulder.
The Environmental Design Program (ENVD) of the University of Colorado Boulder is recruiting two faculty (tenured/tenure–track) in Environmental Design at the Assistant Professor level. Individuals with outstanding qualifications will be considered at higher rank. Both positions are expected to begin in August 2019.
Although all applicants are encouraged to apply, specific emphasis is being placed on the following:
- Architects and designers with a specialization in emerging areas of research including resilience, new materials, and/or technology.
- Landscape architects/urban designers with a specialization in climate responsive design and/or ecological infrastructure planning and development.
CU Boulder is committed to spearheading the next generation of Environmental Design by integrating knowledge of the built and natural environments with holistic and critical design thinking. Candidates in the fields of architecture, landscape architecture, and environmental product design are eligible. Please see the department Website for more details on these areas.
We seek scholars with:
- A history of distinguished research that promises to advance the theory and practice of design of natural and/or built environments.
- Evidence of promise or success in noteworthy contributions to their field through peer-reviewed publications, nationally recognized design projects, and/or renowned exhibition.
- Defined and articulated teaching philosophy that integrates design with innovative research and practice, and a demonstrated ability to teach in a research-active university setting and lead student research at the graduate level.
- Evidence of promise or success in securing extramural research funding.
Who We Are
The Environmental Design Program at CU Boulder (http://www.colorado.edu/envd/) offers a Bachelor of Environmental Design with more than 4,300 alumni. For almost 50 years, the program has been cultivating critical and creative thinkers, designers, and planners. The unit provides students with innovative interdisciplinary education, practice, and advanced study in the design-based fields of architecture, landscape architecture, urban design, environmental product design, and planning, as well as the opportunity to apply design thinking to a variety of other possible careers.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
- Develop a research program within their area of expertise as well as collaborate with individuals within and outside the unit.
- Teach undergraduate environmental design studio, lecture, and seminar courses relevant to the areas of focus mentioned above.
- Candidates with a focus on interdisciplinary course development are highly desired.
- In addition to teaching and research, the candidates will contribute to curriculum/program development and related academic committee work.
What You Should Know
- Successful candidates will benefit from the rich interdisciplinary teaching and research environment of CU Boulder, along with thriving and dynamic ties with other nationally recognized units on the Boulder campus such as the College of Engineering, Geography, the Leeds School of Business, and the new College of Media, Communication and Information.
- A priority for the ENVD program is the recruitment and retention of faculty that reflect the settings for which we design and whom represent the rich diversity of voices who are leading emerging trends and ideas in design. This is a reflection of our aggressive commitment to shape an equitable future for the design professions and for design scholarship. In this commitment we aim to grow the excellence of the University and to offer our students richly varied perspectives and ways of knowing and learning. Applicants should share and contribute to ENVD’s commitment to diversity and inclusion.
What We Can Offer
Salary and start-up packages are competitive and commensurate with experience. Both positions are 9 month/100% time.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder.
Be Ambitious. Be Engaged. Be Boulder.
What We Require
- The minimum qualification is a terminal Master’s in a design degree, a PhD, or equivalent experience.
- Candidates should demonstrate national leadership in their area of research.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- Cover Letter
- List of references
- Copy of degree or transcripts
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy
- Statement of Research Philosophy
- PDF sample of work
- Link to your portfolio
- One research paper
- You will need to submit 3 references for this position. These individuals may be contacted and asked to submit a letter of recommendation at a later time. This information will be kept confidential and viewable only by the search committee.
Review of applications will begin on January 1, 2019; applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Posting Contact Name: Paul Chinowsky
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
The University of Colorado is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer