Who are we:
The vision of UCCS Dining and Food Services is to be a recognized leader in service delivery and food sustainability to cultivate and nurture a healthy campus culture where access to wholesome, seasonal, and local food directly links to wellness, sense of place, and environmental protection. Aligning UCCS Dining and Food Services with campus sustainability efforts allows for the integration of academic programs and community action, thereby providing students invaluable experiential learning opportunities. This includes preparing and serving healthy, flavorful, sustainable, and nutritious food produced through fiscally responsible and mindful practices that nourish and support our community.
Nature of Work:
The purpose of the UCCS Food Service Cook 3 is to prepare quality food for the campus community through the efficient use of supplies, equipment, and services in a sanitary and safe environment according to UCCS Dining and Food Services specifications. Position conducts or assists in supervising the preparation and/or presentation and service of various foods including salads, desserts, appetizers, soups, stews, convenience food items, entrees, sandwiches, dressings and garnishes and/or baked goods.
Under the general supervision of the Catering Chef or Executive Chef of Residential Dining, and with a secondary reporting line to the Executive Chef/Associate Director of Culinary Operations, prepares quality menu items through own efforts and/or through the coordination of assigned lead cooks and student staff. Will work independently and will be responsible for production and ordering of food on the Catering Chef/Executive Chef's days off. Maintains food preparation and safety standards and complies with health code.
This position is expected to maintain collegial relationships with all campus constituents including faculty, staff and students. The position works closely with all culinary staff and student staff in catering or residential food operations.
This position reports to the Catering Chef or Executive Chef of Residential Dining of UCCS Dining and Food Services.
This position provides supervision to cooks and student culinary workers.
Examples of Work Performed:
- Review banquet event orders/cycle menu and set production schedules.
- Prepare and be able to train others to use the proper recipe, portion and cooking technique.
- Follow proper cooking, storage, and food handling techniques and assist in training of sub-ordinate cooks (Cook 2 & Cook 1) and student workers.
- Assist in the supervision, along with the student managers, of the preparation and cooking of food for catered events.
- Keep work area clean, safe, and orderly at all times.
- Complete and supervise training on all pieces of equipment prior to use.
- Assemble, disassemble, and clean kitchen equipment.
- Assist in all phases of set up, service and clean up in operation as needed.
- May assist in storeroom duties such as receiving orders, rotating stock and taking inventory.
- Position may be assigned as "Essential Services Designation" - meaning required to report without delay or interruption to provide essential or emergency services to ensure health, safety, and welfare.
- May be expected to work various shifts to include early morning, nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Any combination of education, training, and experience, which demonstrates the knowledge and skill to perform the duties and responsibilities as described.
- Ability to comprehend, carry out and explain complex verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to stand and walk on hard floors for extended hours.
Frequently lift and carry up to 50 pounds from floor to waist and 25 pounds to shoulder height; climb ladders; bend, kneel and crouch; reach, hold, grasp and turn objects; feel the temperature of food items; and use hands/fingers to operate or use food service equipment, write, and use fingers to operate computer keyboard. The work requires the ability to speak normally, to use normal or aided vision and hearing, and to detect odors. Constantly in and out of freezing and hot environments
- Requires the safe and efficient use of food service equipment such as ovens, grills, food choppers and processors, steamers, slicers, etc., as well as understanding the proper way to clean food service equipment.
- Friendly disposition with effective customer relations skills with ability to work with a varied clientele is imperative.
- Must be able to communicate effectively.
This position has been determined to be eligible for overtime (non-exempt) under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA).
Hourly Pay Rate: $13.67
The University of Colorado, Colorado Springs offers a full benefits package. Information on university benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at http://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado is committed to providing a safe and productive learning, living and working community. To assist in achieving this goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial and/or motor vehicle history
- 5 years' or more experience in commercial food preparation and service.
- ServSafe certification or agree to complete the ServSafe certification within 2 weeks of hire.
- Colorado Driver's License - Regular
- Experience in the training and/or supervision of staff.
Special Instructions to Applicants:• If you have technical difficulties with your application, please contact the CU Careers help desk at 303-860-4200 #5 or [email protected] Job related inquiries should be directed to the posting contact.
Application Materials Required:Resume/CV, Unofficial transcript(s)
Application Materials Instructions:• Applications submitted by January 2, 2019 will receive full consideration. • Applications submitted through email or surface mail will not be considered. Please apply at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. • Upon request, please be prepared to provide five professional references (at least two previous/current supervisors), including their email contact information. • Failure to properly attach the required documents; resume (CV) and unofficial transcript (if applicable, will result in automatic disqualification for this position.
Job Category: Facilities/Labor,Trades & Crafts
Primary Location: Colorado Springs
Department: C0001 -- Colorado Springs Campus - 40253 - VCSS-AUX-Dining&HospitalitySvc
Posting Date: Dec 7, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Jessica Bell
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00001902