Budget and Finance Specialist (Part-Time)
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
School of Medicine, Department of Medicine, Division of Hematology
Budget and Finance Specialist (PART-TIME)
Position #00003437 - Requisition #15310
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
The Division of Hematology has an opening for a 45% PART-TIME University Staff Research Services Senior Professional (Budget and Finance Specialist) position. This 45% part-time position is not eligible for benefits.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient's bedside. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
Nature of Work:
The PART-TIME Budget and Finance Specialist is a member of the Hematology Clinical Trials Unit responsible for the development, negotiation and finalization of budgets and contracts for clinical trials and serves as a finance liaison for finance interactions between UCH, UPI and the Office of Grants and Contracts. In addition to working closely with University personnel, this position also communicates regularly with pharmaceutical company representatives.
Examples of Work Performed:
- Provides budgetary protocol review and approval for Protocol Review and Monitoring Committee to ensure clinical research costs are covered.
- Drafts, negotiates, and finalizes protocol budgets.
- Tracks, by sponsor, sponsor communication for reference for future budget design and negotiation.
- Works with principal investigators in the development and implementation of research protocol in regards to the budgeting process for investigator initiated trials.
- Interacts with principal investigators, hospital, and clinical staff to ensure accurate and timely budget quotes.
- Works closely with Regulatory Affairs Coordinator in regards to protocols (e.g., addition of investigators, amendments, serious adverse events, consent form changes, monitoring visits, correspondence, continuing review, and study termination reports) to ensure quality study flow and that all governing regulations are being adhered to.
- Works closely with principal investigator and clinical team to review Medicare coverage.
- Relays timely information to research team in regards to budget and/or contract (e.g., addition of Clinical Research Coordinator responsibilities necessitating budget changes; inadequate sponsor budget in relation to clinical trial costs, etc.) to ensure quality study flow and accurate budgeting.
- Collaborates with UCH RSS as necessary to ensure tests and procedures required by clinical protocols are budgeted for accurately (i.e., correct SIMM/CPT codes and quoted bid prices are used in the budget and that all applicable fees are included with each specific procedure).
- Works closely with Clinical Research Database and QA Manager to ensure finalized budgets and/or budget amendments are entered into financial databases in a timely basis and assists with database budget maintenance.
- Serves as a contact person for ongoing clinical research studies and meets with representatives from sponsoring pharmaceutical firms or in-house staff for initial orientation to studies and for review of study records.
- Reconcile patient enrollment earnings to sponsor revenues received.
- Invoice sponsors for patient care reimbursement and patient accrual as mandated in contract.
- Investigate and reconcile deficit balances and collect past due accounts.
- Process research patient care charges received from the UCH RSS team with payment requests and/or vouchers for all internal and external invoices presented to the team for clinical protocol activity.
- Prepare accurate financial documents for all assigned accounts.
- Reconcile assigned financial statements using m-Fin reporting tool.
- Review general ledger reports for misappropriated expenses billed to clinical trial accounts.
- Create and maintain patient billing reports.
- Prepare journal entries to distribute trial funds per the clinical trial budget
- Follow University fiscal policy and provide all necessary documentation to the Office of Grants and Contracts to inactivate closed clinical trial projects.
- Works closely with Research Manager and Budget Specialist to ensure budget amendments are entered into OnCore on a timely basis with database budget maintenance.
- Other duties as assigned.
This description is a summary only and is describing the general level of work being performed; it is not intended to be all-inclusive. The duties of this position may change from time to time and/or based on business need. We reserve the right to add or delete duties and responsibilities at the discretion of the supervisor and/or hiring authority.
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. This position is not eligible for overtime compensation.
Diversity and Equity:
Please click here for information on disability accommodations: http://www.ucdenver.edu/about/departments/HR/jobs/Pages/JobsatCUDenver.aspx
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
- A bachelor's degree in public health, public administration, social/behavioral sciences, physical sciences, nursing, healthcare, finance, accounting, business administration, business, or a directly related field from an accredited institution.
- Two (2) years of professional level experience with budgets, grants, clinical trial budgets, finance and/or accounting.
Substitution: A combination of education and related technical/paraprofessional experience may be substituted for the bachelor's degree on a year for year basis, but not for the specific experience.
- Experience working with grants, contracts, sponsored projects, and/or clinical trials in an academic and/or research medical campus.
- Three (3) or more years of experience with clinical trial budgets.
- Experience with University of Colorado systems (e.g., HCM, m-Fin, OnCore, and InfoEd).
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to communicate effectively, both in writing and orally.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees at all levels throughout the institution.
- Outstanding customer service skills.
- Demonstrated commitment and leadership ability to advance diversity and inclusion.
- Skilled in accounting and finance management, including grants, contracts, and gift accounts.
- Skilled in Excel and able to develop custom, user-friendly reports for faculty for monthly reviews.
- Ability to work independently, identify and set priorities, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced work environment.
- Knowledge of University of Colorado applications, including HCM, m-Fin, OnCore, and InfoEd.
- Able to make appropriate decisions with limited information to resolve financial issues related to compliance, deficits, and/or new processes.
- Knowledge of all applicable University, State, and Federal guidelines, policies, and laws.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Required Application Materials: To apply, please visit: http://www.cu.edu/cu-careers and attach: 1. A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2. A current CV/resume 3. List of three to five professional references (we will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references) Questions should be directed to [email protected]
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:Application Deadline: Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Job Category: Research Services
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20164 - SOM-MED-BoneMarrow Transplant
Posting Date: Dec 7, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Spencer LaFasto
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00003437