Research Engineer - Civil & Environmental Engineering (105419)
Illinois Center for Transportation
Civil & Environmental Engineering
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Position is located in Rantoul, IL
The Illinois Center for Transportation (ICT) within the Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering at the College of Engineering seeks applicants for the position of Research Engineer. The primary function of this position is to conduct technical testing at the Illinois Center for Transportation (ICT), optimize research protocols, coordinate research efforts in both the laboratory and the field, calibrate and maintain research equipment.
Major Duties & Responsibilities:
- Conduct experiments in the laboratory and in the field following established safety guidelines and in accordance with applicable standard test methods and specifications, such as ASTM International, American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (MSHTO) and the Illinois Department of Transportation.
- Maintain safe, clean and organized indoor and outdoor research areas, including laboratories, equipment and supply areas, and sample and specimen storage areas.
- Calibrate, maintain and repair research equipment utilizing ICT resources and by coordinating with outside service entities.
- Determine and maintain equipment and supply needs for experiments and the research efforts of ICT and the department.
- Train researchers and students on testing and design procedures for safe laboratory practices and reliable test results, both in the ATREL research areas and various field locations as needed.
- Coordinate verbally and in writing with sponsors, such as the Illinois Department of Transportation, Federal Highway Administration, and other federal, state, and private sponsors; industry representatives; and researchers to ensure project goals are achieved.
- Design, review and/or execute research testing plans, perform technical testing at the ATREL facility and field locations, and perform data analysis, on an as-needed basis in coordination with researchers and students.
- Travel periodically as needed to attend meetings, conduct testing and execute research project tasks.
- Assume additional appropriate related research engineer duties to further the mission of ICT and the department.
- Develop and deliver presentations of research findings to sponsors on an as-needed basis.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor's degree in engineering
- Experience in one or more of the following areas: execution of laboratory experiments on civil engineering materials including: testing of soils and aggregate, Portland Cement Concrete (PCC), and Hot-Mix Asphalt (HMA); Testing asphalt binder using Super Pave testing equipment to applying principles of volumetric asphalt mix design, including the use of different compactors (such as Gyratory); and/or familiarity with field and laboratory data acquisition systems, instrumentation and programming.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and organizational skills. Ability to handle multiple duties simultaneously.
PREFERRED REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Experience working with faculty and students in an academic setting. Operational knowledge of servo-hydraulic systems. Experience working in an accredited laboratory. Proven project experience with data acquisition systems, instrumentation and programming.
The Research Engineer position is a full-time, benefits-eligible academic professional position appointed on a 12-month service basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after the closing date. Applicants may be interviewed before the closing date; however, no hiring decision will be made until after that date. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
To apply for this position, please create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your cover letter, resume, and names/contact information for three references by December 21, 2018. Full consideration will be given to complete applications received by the closing date. For further information regarding application procedures, contact Iffat Moin at [email protected] or 217-300-4706.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
College Name or Administrative Unit: Engineering
Title: Research Engineer - Civil & Environmental Engineering (105419)
Open Date: 12/07/2018
Close Date: 12/21/2018
Organization Name: Civil and Environmental Eng