Academic Advisor, Engineering Student Success Center
Job ID: 24783
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Code: 3082
Department: Engineerng Student Success Ctr
Classification: Student Services Professional II
Salary Range: $4,179/month - $5,942/month
FLSA status: Exempt
San Jose State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package. For more information on programs available, please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/hr/benefits/
About the Position
Reporting to the Director of the Engineering Student Success Center (ESSC), the Academic Advisor will work under general supervision to provide academic advising to students in the College of Engineering. The Academic Advisor will also engage in assessment of advising services and provide support for university-wide events. There will be some specialization in advising areas among the ESSC advising team members.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Provide academic advising to student that facilitates student success, persistence, and degree completion in a timely manner.
- Guide students through critical thinking process to understand academic standards and policies for degree completion. This will include, but is not exclusive to: degree requirements, major/minor/certificate/credential/general education requirements, roadmaps to graduation, graduation applications, international student issues, student concerns, course registration. Some specialization in topics might be required.
- Engage in assessment processes to: conduct assessment of college-level academic advising services and use results to enhance services; participate in university-wide assessment projects of academic advising services; report assessment data as requested.
- Plan and recommend improvements to advising, in collaboration with the ESSC Director
- Collaborate with faculty major advisors in departments of the College of Engineering.
- Represent, or act as a spokesperson, for the ESSC to the university, or outside the university.
Education and Experience
Equivalent to graduation from a four-year college or university in one of the behavioral sciences, public or business administration or a job-related field and two years of professional experience in one of the student services program areas or in a related field. A master's degree in a job-related field may be substituted for one year of the professional experience.
- Bachelor's Degree in one of the behavioral sciences, public administration, or business administration.
- Academic advising experience in engineering or STEM majors.
- Experience in general education and articulation requirements in the California public higher education system.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge facilitating communication within a large organization.
- Familiarity with the engineering profession.
- Ability to coordinate academic and non-academic events.
- Ability to work evenings as needed for orientations and special events.
- Ability to drive on university business.
- Ability to maintain a valid driver's license.
- Ability to use statistical tools to summarize student data and extract useful information.
- Ability to develop best practices to streamline outreach and other events, and to address FAQs in a consistent manner.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- A strong command of English grammar, business writing, punctuation and spelling.
- Ability to collect, compile, analyze, and evaluate data and make verbal or written presentations based on these data.
- Ability to plan and conduct workshops, assist with organization of special events or activities, and make effective presentations before groups.
- Thorough knowledge of university policies and major, GE, university, and system requirements for graduation.
- Knowledge with university-level communication and/or ability to learn and communicate university level policies.
October 8, 2018
Application Screening begins October 24, 2018
Applications received before that date will receive first consideration.
This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Required Application Material:
Letter of interest
List of References
Complete SJSU Online Employment Application
Please note that failure to completely fill out each section of the online application may result in your application not receiving consideration.
Note To Applicant
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a conditional offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San Jos State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0046