Senior Program Associate, PCH Practicum & Doctoral Programs
Job Description Summary:
I. JOB OVERVIEW
The Department of Prevention & Community Health (PCH) at George Washington University's Milken Institute School of Public Health (GWPSH) is seeking a Senior Program Associate, PCH Practicum & Doctoral Programs (SPA). The SPA will be responsible for coordination and academic support of Prevention and Community Health (PCH) Doctoral Programs, which include a Doctor of Public Health in Health Behavior (DrPH) and Doctor of Philosophy in Social and Behavioral Sciences in Public Health (PhD). The PM will also serve as as the Practicum Advisor for PCH's MPH students.
The SPA will report to the Director of PCH Doctoral Programs.
The purpose of these senior level positions is to provide coordination and program management on behalf of an academic program or initiative. This role will serve as a point of contact for the program, will answer typical and complex program questions from faculty, staff, and students, and will provide functional support and management for the program administration. Functional support could include answering external inquiries, enrollment guidance and basic academic advising, managing web presence and marketing efforts, drafting program materials, managing course evaluations, developing new programming, planning and executing events, tracking spending and processing payments, assisting with fellowship and grant opportunities, preparing and analyzing reports, and similar duties. Often these positions make recommendations to policy and procedure, and they are tasked with outreach to other GW stakeholders in order to assist in maintaining standard operational efficiencies. This position does not have direct reports but often schedules, trains and supervises temporary staff or student workers, or leads other program staff. Typical duties often are administrative in nature, and are under limited supervision or are independent of more senior personnel within the department, or program.
Doctoral Program Management
• Maintaining student academic records
• Monitoring and updating of student academic progress
• Liaising with students and faculty regarding academic progress
• Providing support during the comprehensive exams including managing the exam process, compiling feedback, sending student progress updates, interfacing with faculty
• Communicating degree requirements and milestones
• Checking in with advanced students to ensure they are on track with program deadlines and requirements for graduation.
• Evaluation and screening of admission materials
• Organizing materials for committee review
• Coordinating interviews
• Creating and maintaining student record files
• On-going admissions communications (e.g., welcome letters, orientation).
MPH Practicum Management
• Advising MPH candidates on securing a practicum placement, writing a project plan, and negotiating compensation
• Conducting orientation sessions for new students on practicum policies and expectations
• Reviewing and approving practicum projects
• Troubleshooting technical difficulties with the practicum website
• Participating in Practicum Director meetings to discuss policies and problems
• Submitting grades to Student Records.
• Recruiting and orienting practicum directors, and networking with potential organizations.
• Performs other related duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.Minimum Qualifications:
Qualified candidates will hold a Bachelor's degree in an appropriate area of specialization plus 2 years of relevant professional experience, or, a Master's degree or higher in a relevant area of study. Degree must be conferred by the start date of the position. Degree requirements may be substituted with an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.Additional Required Licenses/Certifications/Posting Specific Minimum Qualifications: Preferred Qualifications: Typical Hiring Range $49,000 - $67,400 How is pay for new employees determined at GW?
II. JOB DETAILS
Campus Location: Foggy Bottom, Washington, D.C. College/School/Department: Milken Institute School of Public Health (SPH) Family Academic Affairs Sub-Family Program Administration Stream Individual Contributor Level Level 2 Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time Hours Per Week: 40 Work Schedule: Monday through Friday; 9:00am to 5:00pm Position Designation: Essential: Employees who perform functions that have been deemed essential to maintaining business or academic operations. Employees are generally expected to work from home during an event and may be asked to physically report to work. Telework: No Required Background Check: Criminal History Screening, Education/Degree/Certifications Verification, Social Security Number Trace, and Sex Offender Registry Search Special Instructions to Applicants:
Employer will not sponsor for employment Visa statusInternal Applicants Only? No Posting Number: S007831 Job Open Date: 12/07/2018 Job Close Date: If temporary, grant funded or limited term appointment, position funded until: Background Screening Successful Completion of a Background Screening will be required as a condition of hire. EEO Statement:
The university is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that does not unlawfully discriminate in any of its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Cover Letter
Documents needed to Apply
- Cover Letter