Post Doctoral Scientist
Job Description Summary:
I. DEPARTMENT INFORMATION
The GW Medical Informatics Center is seeking to hire a postdoctoral research scientist in Biomedical Informatics. The mission of GW Medical Informatics Center is to enhance individual and population health outcomes, improve patient care, and strengthen the clinician-patient relationship through the research and development of data science and information technology. The center is engaged in federally as well industry funded research projects. This position provides the opportunity to work on big clinical data sets with an interdisciplinary team. It will prepare the Post Doctoral Scientist for an independent career in informatics research, development, and teaching.
• Participates in research study design.
• Oversees and trains lower level research staff
• Develops analytical and/or software solutions for research questions.
• Prepares reports and manuscripts for publication. May attend meetings and conferences to present research.
• Performs other related duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
Qualified candidates will hold a PhD in a related discipline. Degree must be conferred by the start date of the position.Additional Required Licenses/Certifications/Posting Specific Minimum Qualifications: Preferred Qualifications:
- PhD in biomedical informatics, computer science, mathematics, engineering or a related field
- 2+ years data analysis or database experience
- 2+ years programming experience
- Results- driven, self-starter
- Ability to learn new applications/ programs/ technologies quickly
- Skills in problem solving
- Ability to handle multiple tasks with changing priorities and deadlines in a fast paced environment
- Ability to maintain positive working relationships
- Ability to communicate effective with co- workers and supervisors
- Prior course work and/ or experience in machine learning, natural language processing/ information extraction, and data base
- 2+ years java programming experience
- Experience working in research setting, especially in biomedical research
- Strong interest in clinical research and discovery
The successful candidate should be a highly motivated individual with a solid background in computational science, strong analytical skills, and fluent in at least one programming language.Typical Hiring Range $51,238 - $64,150 How is pay for new employees determined at GW?
I. POSITION INFORMATION
Campus Location: Foggy Bottom, Washington, D.C. College/School/Department: School of Medicine and Health Sciences (SMHS) Family Research and Labs Sub-Family Laboratory Research Stream Individual Contributor Level Level 3 Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time Hours Per Week: 40 Work Schedule: Monday through Friday, 8:30 - 5:00 Position Designation: Essential: Employees who perform functions that have been deemed essential to maintaining business or academic operations. Employees are generally expected to work from home during an event and may be asked to physically report to work. Telework: Required Background Check Criminal History Screening, Education/Degree/Certifications Verification, Social Security Number Trace, and Sex Offender Registry Search Special Instructions to Applicants:
Employer will not sponsor for employment Visa statusInternal Applicants Only? No Posting Number: R000698 Job Open Date: 12/07/2018 Job Close Date: If temporary, grant funded or limited term appointment, position funded until: Background Screening Successful Completion of a Background Screening will be required as a condition of hire. EEO Statement:
The university is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that does not unlawfully discriminate in any of its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have fluency in programming using java, C++, python, or R ?
(Open Ended Question)
- * Do you have any experience with SQL or other scripting languages? Please explain.
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Letter of Recommendation 1
- Letter of Recommendation 2