Academic Advisor, Oconee
Academic Advisor, Oconee
Position Number: 10043036
Benefits Eligible: Yes
Campus Location: Oconee
General Summary: The University of North Georgia is currently accepting applications for an Academic Advisor on the Oconee campus. The Academic Advisor, Oconee campus, works with a diverse student population individually and in groups regarding general education and major requirements and assists in course selection as part of a professional team of advisors. The advisor primarily supports undeclared students in focus areas to develop educational plans and goals. The advisor provides accurate and timely information regarding UNG academic policies and procedures and targeted, intentional support for students who are underachieving academically. The advisor serves as a liaison to faculty and appropriate departments and is also responsible for assisting with the development, implementation, and assessment of comprehensive student advisement tools and student success programs, including UNG's Quality Enhancement Plan. The advisor uses predictive analytic technology to support student persistence and assists with workshops, advance scheduling, and all advising and registration responsibilities at new student orientations on the Oconee campus. Other duties as assigned.
Located in the fastest-growing region of the state, the University of North Georgia is a multi-campus university with an enrollment of over 19,000 students, making it one of the largest institutions in the University System of Georgia. UNG is focused on a mission of educational excellence, leadership development and community engagement opportunities that develop students into leaders for a diverse and global society. Through a variety of educational pathways that provide access and range from certificates and associate degrees to a professional doctoral program, UNG is responsive to regional education and economic development needs. Federally designated as a senior military college, one of the university's signature leadership programs is its 800-member Corps of Cadets on UNG's Dahlonega Campus.
Job Duties & Responsibilities: The Academic Advisor will:
- Assist a diverse student population, primarily undeclared students in focus areas, in developing educational plans and goals
- Deliver targeted retention and success programs for special populations
- Use predictive analytic technology to support student persistence
- Participate in all advising and registration responsibilities at new student orientations
- Develop advance schedules for new freshmen
- Develop and delivers student workshops and faculty training sessions
- Assist in the development and delivery of assessment tools for academic advising
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Must have demonstrated ability to present information in large group settings
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain exemplary working relationships with students, faculty, staff, and administrators
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- A strong background as a team player
- Ability to work under minimal supervision to meet deadlines, manage multiple tasks, and prioritize duties
- A strong background in working with diversity.
Certifications/Licenses & Minimum Requirements:
- Bachelor's Degree required; Master's Degree preferred
- One year of academic advising or related experience
- Computer experience with Microsoft Office required; BANNER experience preferred
Required Documents: Cover Letter, Resume/Curriculum Vitae, Unofficial Transcripts
Special Instructions to Applicants: Please submit contact information for three professional references. This position will require a background check.
Employer Information: All employment offers are contingent upon successful completion of a background investigation, as determined by the University of North Georgia in its sole discretion. The University of North Georgia, a unit of the University System of Georgia, is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sex or national origin, age, disability, religion, genetics or veteran status. Georgia is an open records state. Also, UNG is a federal contractor and desires priority referrals of protected veterans. We provide equal employment opportunities to minorities, females, protected veterans, and disabled individuals, as well as other protected groups. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
Identify Verification: In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
The University of North Georgia is committed to providing equal opportunity to all qualified applicants without discrimination at the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, sex, age, disability or handicap as a matter of college policy and as required by applicable state and federal laws.