Biomedical Laboratory Specialist - Biomedical and Nutritional Sciences (BNS)
Job no: 494569
Position Type: Staff Full Time
Benefit Status: Benefited-Union
Campus: UMass Lowell
Department: Biomed & Nutritional Sciences
Salary: Salary commensurate with experience and grade/range
Applications Open: Aug 09 2018
Applications Close: Open until filled
General Summary of Position:
This position supports the Department of Biomedical and Nutritional Sciences (BNS) by teaching and prepping any undergraduate and graduate laboratory courses in the department, operating and maintaining a variety of bioanalytical instruments, preparing and maintaining laboratory protocols, SOPs (Standard Operating Procedures), and training materials used in teaching, and ensuring the implementation and maintenance of safety standards for all teaching laboratories. The Biomedical Laboratory Specialist will work closely with the BNS department chair and the various laboratory course coordinators to assist with teaching and other departmental initiatives.
The Biomedical Lab Specialist will provide laboratory management to both the department and college by:
- Maintaining an adequate supply of reagents and equipment to ensure proper execution of instructional laboratory sessions
- Preparing media, stock cultures, and chemical solutions
- Troubleshooting experiments for student laboratories
- Installing, operating, and repairing equipment and apparatuses
- Supervising and instructing students, and assisting staff and faculty, in the use of complex equipment and apparatuses
- Reviewing and revising laboratory protocols and manuals, and instrumental procedures
- Hiring, training, and supervising work-study students and part-time laboratory aides in all aspects of laboratory support
The individual in this position will ensure safety of students, staff, and university faculty by managing biohazard and chemical hazardous materials in accordance with federal, state, local, and university regulations, following prescribed blood-borne pathogens safety precautions, helping to develop and implement laboratory/resource facility policies, and acting as liaison between the department and the UMass Lowell Health and Safety office.
The Biomedical Lab Specialist will provide academic support to ensure the achievement of departmental goals.
Minimum Qualifications (Required):
- Bachelor's degree in Biomedical Sciences or related field
- At least 5 years' experience working and training others in a clinical laboratory environment
- Demonstrated knowledge of safety rules (OSHA, CDC), regulations, blood-borne pathogen precautions and use of personal protective equipment
- Demonstrated knowledge of use and preparation of clinical laboratory chemicals/reagents, including storage, handling, and disposal requirements
- Demonstrated skill in the operation and use of various laboratory testing equipment and instrumentation, including their proper set up, troubleshooting, and maintenance
- Demonstrated knowledge in the set up and use of audio-visual equipment
- Demonstrated proficiency in the use of computer programs, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Demonstrated ability to consistently meet daily, weekly, and monthly deadlines
- High proficiency of communication of English language
- Demonstrated ability to work with diverse populations of students and colleagues
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize multiple responsibilities
- Previous teaching experience at the undergraduate level
- ASCP Medical Laboratory Science Certification
- Participation in American Society of Clinical Pathology (ASCP) Certification Maintenance Program
- Training/education beyond bachelor's degree
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Only Internal Professional (SEIU 888 Professional Union) Bargaining candidates will be considered during the first 10 business days of the posting. All other candidates will be considered after that period.
Initial review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. However, the position may close when an adequate number of qualified applications are received.
Please include a resume and cover letter with your application. Names and contact information of three references will be required at the time of application.
The University of Massachusetts Lowell is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action, Title IX employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age over 40, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, marital status, or other protected class.