Senior Linux Systems Engineer
Senior Linux Systems Engineer
Job Number: 81390
Stanford's University Information Technology (UIT) organization services diverse clientele from various university schools and units. We are a hub of sysadmins, dev/ops staff, engineers, developers and architects who oversee 500 (and growing) systems, which are uniquely different and relatively small scale. Our team manages the whole lifecycle of the system. We function in both consultant and operational roles.
We are seeking a Senior Linux Systems Engineer to build and support our Debian and Red Hat-based systems. In this client-centric position, you will design, engineer, build and troubleshoot all things Linux and steer the direction of Linux administration efforts across UIT and the Stanford community. You will build and support systems owned or used by our Stanford colleagues across campus and work in collaboration with our Systems Operations Analysts and other engineers. You will help lead efforts in building our systems for the cloud and contribute to different UIT group projects. If you are resilient, flexible, highly-motivated to solve complex problems, and want to be a part of a growing and dynamic environment, then this may be the right opportunity for you!
- Build, install, configure, analyze, tune, and troubleshoot operating system to achieve optimum performance levels.
- Resolve difficult system problems and provide consultation or training.
- Configure and assist in the design of system and network security.
- Manage hardware, software, and utilities for installation, modification, troubleshooting, maintenance, and upgrades of operating systems and workstation environments.
- Monitor and analyze resource usage to recommend/develop enhancements to system capabilities and performance.
- Compare, evaluate, and implement new technologies, and integrate systems into the computing environment.
- Document systems infrastructure for users, support and consulting personnel, and developers.
- Train personnel who provide support and consulting services to users.
- Act as liaison with various departments across campus.
- Facilitate vendor relationships.
- Education: Bachelor's degree and at least five years of relevant experience or a combination of education and relevant experience.
We're looking for folks with deep expertise with these kinds of technologies:
- All things Linux: Debian and Ubuntu; Red Hat, CentOS and Oracle distributions
- Puppet for systems configuration
- Nginx, Apache and SQL-related technologies
- NFS, CIFS and other network file protocols
- High-performance networking, load balancer and proxy configuration
- RAID enterprise storage, NetApp filer
- SAML and Kerberos authentication
- LDAP directory services
- Git for code management
- Python, Ruby, Go, bash or other scripting expertise
- AWS, GCP or Azure cloud engineering
- Code-defined infrastructure: Terraform, CloudFormation
- Containerization, CoreOS and Docker
- VMware virtual infrastructure technologies, storage and networking
- DataDog monitoring; Splunk log aggregation; OpsGenie on-call dispatch
- CarbonBlack binary whitelisting; Duo 2FA; OSSEC and tripwire
- Exposed to high voltage electricity, noise >80dB TWA, confined spaces, hot temperatures, heavy metals.
- Occasional extended hours and some weekends
We're moving offices. Our new Stanford Redwood City campus, scheduled to open in Spring 2019, will bring together 2,700 staff in a collaborative environment that reflects Stanford's culture and mission. The campus offers amenities such as onsite cafes and a dining pavilion, a high-end fitness facility with an outdoor pool, and a childcare center. As part of our telecommute options, we have Stanford locations in San Francisco, Newark and San Jose and a supportive work-anywhere program for our Bay Area staff.
Why Stanford is for You
Imagine a world without search engines or social platforms. Consider lives saved through first-ever organ transplants and research to cure illnesses. Stanford University has revolutionized the way we live and enrich the world. Supporting this mission is our diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff. We seek talent driven to impact the future of our legacy. Our culture and unique perks empower you with:
- Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
- A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.
- A healthier you. Climb our rock wall, or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.
- Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts and more!
How to Apply
We invite you to apply for this position by clicking on the “Apply for Job” button. To be considered, please submit your resume and a one-page cover letter along with your online application.
Job Code: 4833
Location: Business Affairs: University IT (UIT), California, United States
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: stanfordcareers.stanford.edu
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency