Manager of IT
Manager of IT
Job Number: 81389
Stanford's central IT organization has an opening for a manager of IT, someone who will help support a growing team of almost a dozen technologists, more than 90 different clients and over 500 systems.
Technology Consulting Group (TCG) designs and builds server-related IT systems on campus, virtually and in the cloud. We are a fee-for-service organization that uses a cost-recovery model that funds our operations. Two teams will report to this manager: Operations and Engineering. The manager will report to the Director of TCG. We work in an ITIL-like framework.
- Coordinate the day-to-day work undertaken in support of multiple and concurrent initiatives, projects, incidents, events and tickets.
- Ensure effective talent management for the Engineering and Operations teams, hiring, continuous skills development, establish bench strength
- Adjust staffing assignments and talent resources to accommodate shifting project priorities
- Track operational health through data-driven inputs and metrics
- Ensure systems are secured based on Stanford's rigorous internal security requirements, while also meeting requirements for HIPAA, FERPA, FISMA and other standards.
- Continuously improve our systems management practices; coach the adoption of modern dev-ops practices; evangelize a cloud-first deployment approach.
- Lead and manage business, technical, and education activities (e.g. application development, installing, configuring, and maintaining servers, routers, firewalls, workstations, and network equipment).
- Exercise management responsibility for a technical group, including recruiting, hiring, training, developing, evaluating, and setting priorities.
- Ensure work completion within schedule, budgetary, and design constraints; make decisions about analysis, design, and testing; solve complex technical problems; provide alternative methods for achieving goals when necessary.
- Provide strategic planning for own work group; may assist higher level management in a broader scope strategic planning for a large, complex, university-wide function or major initiative.
- Create procedures and guidelines to ensure compliance with university policy and federal and state regulations.
- May oversee or assist in preparation and submission of documentation, such as proposals, progress reports, or other contractual requirements.
- Monitor technology trends and evaluate emerging technologies for adoption and implementation.
- Work collaboratively with colleagues to leverage the university/school's investments in information technology.
- Education: Bachelor's degree and at least five years of relevant experience or a combination of education and relevant experience.
- Minimum of five years of IT management experience in systems administration-related services.
- Enhanced understanding and past hand-on experience with modern dev-ops practices, Windows and Linux server administration, cloud technologies.
- Excellent customer service skills, with the proven ability to work directly with clients and stakeholders across the organization, with different levels of technical sophistication.
- Work autonomously, resourcefully and flexibly in a dynamic environment.
- Sound economic understanding of how a fee-for-service cost-recovery model works, its impact on operations and the need for fiscal prudence.
- Detailed understanding of relevant technical knowledge and problem resolution.
- Strong customer relationship skills, consensus building skills, and ability to establish effective working relationships in a diverse environment.
- Demonstrated ability to lead, motivate, and develop staff.
- Constantly perform desk-based computer tasks.
- Frequently sit, grasp lightly/fine manipulation.
- Occasionally stand/walk, use a telephone.
- Rarely writing by hand, lift/carry/push/pull objects that weigh up to 10 pounds.
- Occasional extended hours and some weekends
We're moving offices. Our new Stanford Redwood City campus, scheduled to open in Spring 2019, will bring together 2,700 staff in a collaborative environment that reflects Stanford's culture and mission. The campus offers amenities such as onsite cafes and a dining pavilion, a high-end fitness facility with an outdoor pool, and a childcare center. As part of our telecommute options, we have Stanford locations in San Francisco, Newark and San Jose and a supportive work-anywhere program for our Bay Area staff.
Why Stanford is for You
Imagine a world without search engines or social platforms. Consider lives saved through first-ever organ transplants and research to cure illnesses. Stanford University has revolutionized the way we live and enrich the world. Supporting this mission is our diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff. We seek talent driven to impact the future of our legacy. Our culture and unique perks empower you with:
- Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
- A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.
- A healthier you. Climb our rock wall, or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.
- Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts and more!
How to Apply
We invite you to apply for this position by clicking on the “Apply for Job” button. To be considered, please submit your resume and a one-page cover letter along with your online application.
Job Code: 4806
Location: Business Affairs, California, United States
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: stanfordcareers.stanford.edu
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency