DIRECTOR ACADEMIC ADVISING CENTER
DIRECTOR ACADEMIC ADVISING CENTER
Posting Number: SRGV3676
Number of Vacancies: 1
Location: Edinburg, Texas
Department: Academic Advising Center
Scope of Job:
Responsible for providing overall management and direction for the Academic Advising Center and coordinating university-wide academic advising initiatives which promote retention and timely progress to degree. The primary emphasis will be on ensuring the delivery of consistent and highly effective academic advising experiences for all undergraduate students by fostering a strong and collaborative institutional advising network that is responsive to student needs and designed in accordance with best practices.
Description of Duties:
• Provides leadership and guidance on best practices that fully support the delivery of a consistent and highly effective academic advising experience for all undergraduate students.
• Ensures advising units are responsive to emerging trends in academic advising and changes in student demographics.
• Manages the hiring, training, and evaluation of staff.
• Develops short and long-range plans, conceptual designs, budget requirements and documentation for the department.
• Responsible for institutional strategic planning of advising initiatives which will positively impact student success outcomes, including retention and timely progress to degree.
• Implements effective data collection, analysis, and reporting systems that demonstrate desired outcomes and inform recommendations for strategic resource allocation and overall direction for advising of undergraduate students.
• Develops strong and effective partnerships with stakeholders across the institution and with regional partners such as school districts and other institutions of higher education.
• Responsible for the development and continual enhancement of institutional communication networks for advising of undergraduate students.
• Optimizes use of technologies to support academic advising, student persistence, and timely progress to degree for undergraduate students.
• Effectively allocates and manages financial, human, technology and space resources to achieve advising goals.
• Develops and manages budget expenditures on assigned university accounts to ensure compliance.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
General supervision from assigned supervisor.
Direct supervision of assigned staff.
Master’s degree in a related field from an accredited university.
Doctorate’s degree in a related field from an accredited university.
Five (5) years of experience in academic advising, including three (3) years supervisory experience. Strong working knowledge of academic advising best practices.
Experience as an academic advising director. Experience leading a large and/or complex student success-oriented unit.
Use of standard office equipment. Ability to use computers for word processing, calendar sharing, emailing, accessing student academic information. Preferred experience in the use of student information system software. Basic statistical and strong report writing skills.
Needs to be able to successfully perform all required duties. Office Environment; some travel and weekend/evening work is required. UTRGV is a distributed institution, which requires presence at multiple locations throughout the Rio Grande Valley. Work is performed primarily in a general office environment across the Rio Grande Valley.
Ability to successfully collaborate with faculty, administrators within higher education (i.e. college deans, department chairs, and other administrators, etc.) and professional staff. Strong communication, collaboration and conflict resolution skills. Strong program development, implementation, and assessment skills. Strong research skills in the area of program development, continuous improvement and assessment. Ability to apply current university academic policies and procedures, current academic advisement practices, student academic monitoring and retention efforts. Strong supervisory and management skills. Direct experience working successfully with diverse populations, demonstrating multicultural competence; highly effective written and oral communication skills with the ability to deliver information in a clear, concise and articulate manner to multiple stakeholder groups; proven leadership and management skills, particularly as they relate to advancing innovative practices, building strategic partnerships, and leveraging team capacity; and, effective staff development and supervision.
Physical Capabilities: N/A
Employment Category: Full-Time
Minimum Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Posted Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Position Available Date: 12/06/2018
Grant Funded Position: No
If Yes, Provide Grant Expiration Date:
UTRGV is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer that strives to hire without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or veteran status. UTRGV takes affirmative action to hire and advance women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Human Resources will not be held responsible for redacting any confidential information from the documents you attach with your application. The confidential information includes the following:
*Date of Birth
*Social Security Number
Please make sure that you omit this information prior to submission. We are advising that Human Resources will be forwarding your application to the department as per your submission. The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley reserves the right to discontinue accepting applications prior to the stated close date of this position, after meeting the posting requirement of three (3) calendar days.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at (956)665-8880 and/or [email protected]
UTRGV is a distributed location institution and working location is subject to change based on need.
All UTRGV employees are required to have a criminal background check (CBC). Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Substitutions to the above requirements must have prior approval from the Chief Human Resources Officer.
To apply, visit https://careers.utrgv.edu/postings/19884
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency