Director of Campus Recreation
Title: Director of Campus Recreation
Department: Department of Student Life
Bridgewater College seeks a full time Director of Campus Recreation beginning January 2019. The focus of this position is to provide strategic vision, support and implementation of intramural programs, outdoor program activities, and club sports. The Director will provide oversight for the promotion and assessment of activities and programs by utilizing the Student Life Curriculum. Additionally, this person will supervise the Funkhouser Center Manager in maintaining the day-to-day operations of the Center.
- Develop a strategic plan for types of intramural and outdoor programs offered.
- Understand student needs and current trends when developing and assessing intramural and outdoor programs
- Supervise major team sport games) and/or to make sure that staff coverage is sufficient to cover the competitions.
- Recruit, hire, and train officials for all major team sports, intramural coordinators, and student supervisors.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive outdoor program, participating in outdoor events as needed for supervision and guidance.
- Develop and implement policies and procedures for club sports teams.
- Maintain budgets, assessments, and reporting for intramural and outdoor programs.
- Work collaboratively with other programs on campus.
- Work to advertise and utilize the Town of Bridgewater’s Recreation Agreement.
- Supervise the Funkhouser Center Manager.
- Master’s Degree in Campus Recreation or related field required.
- 5 years’ experience in higher education and student affairs with progressive responsibility is required.
- Demonstrated ability in supervising team sports.
- Experience working with a curriculum is preferred.
- Demonstrated ability performing technical skills and instructing activities associated with several outdoor recreation activities such as rock climbing, kayaking, skiing/snowboarding; wilderness first aid; experiential education and team building.
- Demonstrated ability to facilitate outdoor recreation and instructional classes, workshops, clinics, and special events, including team building and participant debriefing of outdoor excursions.
- Wilderness First Aid Responder certified; and current CPR and AED certifications (instructor preferred).
- Flexibility for nights and weekends required
- Valid Driver's License with good driving record required.
Bridgewater offers Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science degrees in more than 60 majors and minors, along with multiple areas of emphasis and concentrations, pre-professional programs such as medicine and law, dual degree programs and teacher certification. The college is a member of NCAA Division III and the Old Dominion Athletic Conference, with 22 intercollegiate athletic teams. The vibrant 300-acre residential campus includes an equestrian center and is located in the town of Bridgewater, Virginia, near the city of Harrisonburg in the center of the Shenandoah Valley. An excellent school system, healthy business environment, numerous arts and cultural events, one of the state's lowest crime rates, and a variety of outdoor opportunities and historic attractions draw many to the region.
Additional Information: Email [email protected]
Apply: Please complete the online application at www.bridgewater.edu/careers. Include (upload) a cover letter, resume and the names and contact information (email and mobile phone) for three references.
Deadline: Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Bridgewater College is an equal opportunity provider, committed to employing a diverse faculty and staff, and actively seeks applications from women, minorities, and other persons from traditionally under-represented groups.