The Writing Tutor will provide individual and small group tutoring, in-person and online. This position requires working with students to identify and clarify learning problems in the area of writing. In addition, the Writing Tutor will utilize the Learning Center email to schedule and confirm online tutoring appointments and respond to frequent questions by students regarding the Learning Center and its resources. Periodically, the Writing Tutor may host program specific writing workshops on select topics, create and manage the training resources. This position requires the ideal candidate to maintain student confidentiality and contribute to a friendly and productive learning environment. This position is suitable for early-career tutors.
This is a Part-Time position, up to 20 hours per week, located in Pasadena, California and reports to the Learning Assistance Specialist.
- Work with a diverse non-traditional student population to provide individual and small group tutoring in person and online.
- Meet with students on campus to review their assignments
- Connect with online or at-distance students through phone, email, or GoToMeeting to provide online tutoring
- Utilize technical tools to for learning and maintain the Learning Center daily function
- Work cooperatively with staff and students
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Maintain data and records
ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS and ABILITIES:
- Previous experience tutoring students with various learning needs and challenges
- Knowledge of the writing structures in English and composition
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both verbally and in writing
- Ability to interact in a patient and friendly manner with students from different cultural backgrounds, at all levels of language proficiency, and with various learning styles
- Knowledge of and use of computers including emerging technologies as learning tools
- Ability to speak in front of large groups and facilitate workshops
- Ability to tutor remotely via phone, email, and/or GoToMeeting
- Exposure to the process of learning another language
- Advanced knowledge of MS Office Suite
- Bachelor's degree required
- English or Education majors preferred
- Previous experience tutoring others for writing required
- Prior experience working with English Language Learners
- APA Style knowledge required
- Must be available weekday, evening and weekend hours
Pacific Oaks College and Children's School offers a generous compensation and benefits package, as well as the opportunity to work for a leader in the field of education. Some of our key benefits include: generous paid time-off, medical and dental coverage, company-paid life and disability insurance, retirement plan with employer contribution, multiple flexible spending accounts (FSA), tuition reimbursement, professional development, and regular employee appreciation events.
Pacific Oaks College and Children's School is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Pacific Oaks College and Children's School