Transfer Admission Counselor
Millikin University seeks an energetic professional to serve as Transfer Admission Counselor in the Office of Admission. Charged with recruiting and enrolling undergraduate students, the position requires a passion for higher education, excellent communication with college-bound students (traditional-age and adult learning students), the ability to build strong relationships and the ability to work independently. Bachelor’s degree required. Recruitment and/or professional sales experience is preferred. You may view a complete position description at www.millikin.edu/employment.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Nurture, build, and sustain ongoing professional relationships with prospective transfer students and those who influence them to achieve assigned enrollment management objectives.
- Become familiar with transfer student culture and any distinctive aspects of the culture, including but not limited to sources of students, preferences of students, and sources of competition.
- Develop relationships with community college advising staff through regularly scheduled visits and routine recruitment contacts.
- Develop relationships with community leaders and business leaders through scheduled visits, community involvement and various recruitment opportunities.
- Seasonal travel will be required for this position, mostly within a 60-mile radius of Millikin University.Overnight travel would be rare.
- In conjunction with the University Registrar, use available resources to provide accurate and timely support for transfer students with questions about transferability of courses, academic planning, and differences between similar academic programs.
- Regularly monitor the inquiry, prospect, application, and deposit numbers to focus on attaining assigned objectives.
- Monitor the receipt of applications and determine the best next steps in the recruitment process for each applicant.
- Document activity and decisions about applications for admission in accordance with established standards.
- Communicate with prospective students about financial aid, financial resources, and how to pay for college.
- Serve as admission counselor for domestic non-degree seeking and readmit students, in addition to serving transfer students.
- Other duties as assigned, including:
- Support day-to-day function of the Admission Office.
- Follow-up with enrolled transfer students in an informal, as needed basis.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Requires daily use of Groupwise Email, Ellucian (Student Information System), Hobsons Connect (Content Management System), MS -Excel, and MS Windows.
- This position particularly requires a high aptitude for quickly establishing mutual rapport and comfort when meeting people for the first time in person and on the phone.
- This position requires the analytical skills to understand which students are highest priority and why they are highest priority.
- The position also requires the analytical ability to plan business travel based on analysis of data about enrollment trends.
- This position requires complex problem solving when making admit/deny decisions about applications for admission.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited university.
- Ability and desire to effectively and credibly interact with transfer students, adult students, parents, university faculty, university administrators, and faculty and staff of external colleges/community colleges.
- Ability and desire to articulate key aspects and benefits of a Millikin University education.
- Preference given to candidates with experience or expertise in the following areas: Millikin University curriculum, Illinois community college practices, and financial aid
- Organized, accurate, detail oriented, and extremely timely in customer service and sales situations.
- Ability and willingness to learn and properly use Enrollment technology in routine performance of daily job functions.
- Valid driver's license. Clean driving record.
- Availability and willingness to work M-F 8AM-5PM as well as extended evening and weekend hours as needed, and willingness to enthusiastically travel to recruit transfer students. These busy times may occur several months per year.
- Ability to develop, collect, analyze, and interpret data used for student recruitment.
- Outstanding writing and communication skills pertinent to business correspondence.
- Outstanding telephone usage skills.
- Demonstrated ability to self-manage time, activity, and spending, staying focused on accomplishment of objectives.
- Outstanding presentation skills.
- Preference to candidates with previous admission experience, specifically recruiting transfer students
Qualified applicants should submit a cover letter, resume and contact information of three professional references to millikin.edu/employment. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Employment and first day of work is contingent upon successful completion of a background check. Millikin University is an equal opportunity employer. Candidates from traditionally underrepresented groups in this field are encouraged to apply. Beyond meeting fully its legal obligations for non-discrimination, Millikin is committed to building a diverse and inclusive community where members from all backgrounds can live, learn, and thrive. Millikin offers a competitive salary and full benefits package.