Research Instructor or Senior Research Instructor
UNIVERSITY OF COLORADO
Anschutz Medical Campus
Colorado School of Public Health
Department of Biostatistics and Informatics
Center for Innovative Design and Analysis
RESEARCH INSTRUCTOR/ SENIOR RESEARCH INSTRUCTOR
The University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals environment with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.
NATURE OF WORK
This is a team science position in the Department of Biostatistics and Informatics. This person will join a growing group of master's and doctoral trained collaborative and consulting biostatisticians. The collaborative work for this position is split between the Center for Innovative Design and Analysis (CIDA) consulting branch and major collaborative research groups. CIDA is a campus wide analytics center charged with expanding the analytics expertise and research for the Anschutz Medical Campus.
This position will join 9 other master's trained faculty in CIDA and over two-dozen faculty and research personnel in the Department of Biostatistics and Informatics. Research instructors interact and collaborate with health researchers on their basic science, clinical, and health science research projects. The collaborative research groups for this position are broad, encompassing data science, health outcomes, and ‘omics.
A research instructor is expected to provide high-level, professional and scientifically rigorous design and analysis support to biomedical researchers at CU Anschutz. Research Instructors generally work under the direction of one or more doctoral level biostatisticians. Over time they are expected to work more independently and apply more advanced methodologies to solve analytic challenges. The research instructor in this position will consult and collaborate with investigators on all aspects of the research process, including: design of new studies (sample size and analysis planning), data management, complex programming, analysis implementation and data visualization, and dissemination of results. This individual is expected to co-author abstracts, oral and poster presentations, and scientific manuscripts.
A senior research instructor will be expected to work independently with research groups and mentor and supervise more junior analysts, data managers, and graduate students in CIDA. The senior research instructor may be the lead biostatistician for some groups and exhibit their team science contributions through submission of applied abstracts and perhaps lead on collaborative publications.
The Research Instructor/Senior Research Instructor position in CIDA will be supervised by the CIDA Director and indirectly by the lead of the collaborative group.
This position may have supervisory responsibilities with graduate Research Assistants seeking MS degrees (RAs) and Professional Research Assistants (PRAs).
EXAMPLES OF WORK PERFORMED
The faculty in the CIDA collaborate with health researchers from nearly every School and Department at CU Anschutz on their biomedical and health research projects, including: design of new studies (sample size and analysis planning), complex programming, developing analysis pipelines, analysis implementation and data visualization, and dissemination of results. This individual is expected to co-author abstracts, oral and poster presentations, and scientific manuscripts. Strong data management/integration and programming skills are desired.
In addition to the work of a research instructor, a senior research instructor will conduct more complex analyses, work more independently, and at times investigate the usefulness of newer methodologies to solve the analytic challenges facing their groups. They will spend more time on study design and data analysis rather than data wrangling/management. A senior research instructor will also mentor and supervise junior master's trained faculty and graduate students.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Strong knowledge of statistical principles relevant in medical research.
- Ability to analyze and solve complex problems and apply quantitative analytical approaches.
- Ability to investigate the properties of statistical methodology through simulation or other means.
- Strong programming skills in a common statistical software package (such as SAS, R).
- An ability to work with high performance computing environments and cloud computing.
- Good organizational skills across multiple projects, managing own work load, self-directed.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Positive attitude and the ability to work with a variety of biomedical investigators and colleagues.
- Ability to contribute to the growth and development of the CIDA and the Department.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The Unversity of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line.
Total Compensation Calculator: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/total-compensation
DIVERSITY AND EQUITY
Please click here for information on disability accommodations: http://www.ucdenver.edu/about/departments/HR/jobs/Pages/JobsatCUDenver.aspx
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
- The position requires formal training and experience in biostatistics and data management.
- Strong programming skills in a common statistical software package (e.g. SAS, R).
- An MS in Biostatistics, Data Science, Bioinformatics or related area of graduate level training.
- At least 2 years of experience as an analytic consultant/collaborator.
For Senior Research Instructor additional requirements include:
- At least 6 years of post-graduate experience as an analytic consultant/collaborator.
- Evidence of independence/leadership on research teams.
- Experience with data management and integration of data sources.
- 3+ years of post-graduate research experience as an analyst.
- Experience serving as a biostatistician or data analyst on multiple projects.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully contribute to the analytic elements of multiple projects simultaneously.
- Or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience that provides the individual with the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Questions should be directed to Miranda Kroehl, PhD at [email protected]
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:A review of the application material will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Applicants must apply online at http://www.cu.edu/cu-careers. Please do not submit any of your application material via email to the job posting contact. Applicants Must Include: 1. A cover letter which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2. A current CV/resume 3. The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three to five professional references in a separate document.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 21419 - CSPH-Bio Info General Ops
Posting Date: Dec 6, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Miranda Kroehl, PhD
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00756793