Pediatric Residency Program Administrative Assistant (Administrative Assistant III)
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
School of Medicine, Department of Pediatrics - Medical Education
Administrative Assistant III (Pediatric Residency Program Administrative Assistant)
Position#756393 - CU Careers Requisition #15230
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and inter-professional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002.
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient's bedside. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding.
Nature of Work:
The Department of Pediatrics is a department within the University of Colorado School of Medicine - Anschutz Medical Campus, with a mission of patient care, medical education, and research. The three-year Pediatric Residency Program is designed to prepare residents to practice the full scope of Pediatrics with a broad exposure of educational experiences to all major acute and chronic diseases of childhood, in a variety of practice settings, including Children's Hospital Colorado, University of Colorado Hospital, Denver Health, and numerous offsite educational experiences.
The Pediatric Residency Program's Program Assistant (Administrative Assistant III) provides administrative support for the Department of Pediatrics Residency Program, largely focusing on managing the resident clinical work schedule. This is a new position, created to support increases in resident numbers and to establish a lead administrative role for resident scheduling. The role is part of an administrative Residency team that includes two Education Coordinators and a part-time administrative professional, all of whom work together to manage all aspects of the Pediatric Residency Program at the University of Colorado. This position will work in a collaborative, close relationship with the residency faculty, chief residents, residents and other Medical Education faculty and administrative staff.
This Administrative Assistant will also provide essential management, communication and networking for the effective functioning of this Residency Program. The Administrative Assistant will represent the Residency program on behalf of the Graduate Medical Education (GME) Office, the Department of Pediatrics, Children's Hospital Colorado, the School of Medicine, and the University of Colorado-Anschutz Medical Campus.
Examples of Duties:
- Work with the Chief Residents, Program Directors and Resident Scheduling Committees to establish and manage the year-long clinical block and call schedules for all Program interns and residents (approximately 100 total), primarily at Children's Hospital Colorado, Denver Health, and University of Colorado Hospital
- Create administrative procedures to support efficiently, consistently and accurately building the annual Residency work schedule
- Manage the processes to solve unexpected and special schedule-related issues that require quick, fair and effective solutions
- Serve an integral role in assessing the operational effectiveness of the residency schedule components, collaborate with Residency Program and clinical unit leadership to ensure the schedule supports an appropriate resident learning and working experience, and participate in the decision-making processes to assess and implement changes as needed
- Independently manage the schedule change request processes and decisions throughout the year
- Track and manage the online schedules (currently via OnCall/Amion and MedHub)
- Track and support resident compliance with ACGME requirements, including work hours
- Manage In-Training Examination (ITE) scheduling and related logistics
- Provide orientation to residents on schedule-related topics
Administration of the Pediatric Residency Training Program
- Coordinate resident educational conferences and related logistics
- Provide administrative support for one or two components of the residency curriculum, as needed
- Support, plan and/or execute a variety of residency events, ranging from small through large events
- Support Program financial and travel tracking and processing processes
- Support processes related to planning, directing and coordinating academic, operational, and financial activities of the residency program
- Follow pertinent state fiscal policies, UC SOM rules and procedures, and state and federal laws and standards applicable to the program or business management
- Follow pertinent Graduate Medical Education policies, including rules and regulations promulgated by the ACGME and ABP
- Support program and fiscal policies related to the Residency Program needs at all training site locations, including the University of Colorado Hospital, Children's Hospital Colorado Denver Health Medical Center and others
- Assist the Chief Residents with administrative tasks, including calendaring, correspondence, and program representation
- Provide backup support for other administrative positions and participate in shared duties of support staff
- Assist with department conferences/retreats
This description is a summary only and is describing the general level of work being performed, it is not intended to be all-inclusive. The duties of this position may change from time to time and/or based on business need. We reserve the right to add or delete duties and responsibilities at the discretion of the supervisor and/or hiring authority.
PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will be responsible for travel expenses related to the interview process and any relocation expenses, if applicable.
Salary and Benefits:
The salary range (or the hiring range) for this position has been established at $42,500-$53,000 and is commensurate with skills, experience, and time at the University of Colorado.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line.
Total Compensation Calculator: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/total-compensation for questions, please contact [email protected].
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
- Three (3) years of general clerical and/or administrative experience
- Substitution: Appropriate education will substitute for the required experience on a year-for-year basis.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be willing and able to successfully pass a 10-panel drug test
- Must be willing and able to successfully pass a national criminal background check and sex offender registry check
- Three (3) years of experience with complex schedule management of a group of 100 or more individuals
- Experience with complex schedule management within an academic healthcare setting
- Experience in program or administrative support in an academic healthcare setting
- Experience setting up and arranging conferences, events, and meetings
- Experience managing electronic scheduling and information systems (e.g., OnCall/Amion, MedHub, ACGME, ERAS, NRMP, ABP)
- Experience preparing and managing reports
- Experience working with and interpreting federal, state and university policies, rules and regulations
Required Competencies: Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to understand and manipulate a complex scheduling system spanning multiple institutions and multiple roles to be scheduled
- Ability to create processes to standardize a complex scheduling system to achieve consistency and efficiency year to year, while ensuring an appropriate resident work experience, sufficient clinical coverage, and compliance with accreditation and regulatory requirements
- Skills and ability to triage and address unexpected changes or urgent needs with a collaborative, solutions-oriented approach
- Ability to compare and contrast different scheduling options to address changing needs or priorities, and to help others understand the pros and cons of those options while taking into account potential effects on the larger system
- Ability to manage and perform a variety of assignments with considerable independent judgment and motivation
- Ability to use independent judgment and discretion in deciding upon procedures to be implemented, setting priorities, maintaining standards, problem solving and working effectively in a team atmosphere
- Ability to communicate effectively and professionally with administrative personnel, physicians and other program personnel, trainees/prospective trainees, staff and other constituents in written and verbal communications and oral presentations
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Excel)
- Ability to become fully proficient in computer programs essential to the residency program, including the Electronic Residency Application System (ERAS), OnCall/Amion scheduling tools and MedHub
- Ability to adapt to using new electronic programs and tools
- Ability to understand and apply regulatory requirements at the program level
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees at all levels throughout the institution
- Outstanding customer service skills
- Demonstrated commitment and leadership ability to advance diversity and inclusion
Special Instructions to Applicants:Required Application Materials: To apply, please visit: http://www.cu.edu/cu-careers and attach: 1. A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2. A current CV/resume 3. List of three to five professional references (we will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references) Questions should be directed to Josh Rosenfeld, [email protected]
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references. Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. Applications will be accepted until finalists are identified, but preference will be given to complete applications received by December 20, 2018. Those who do not apply by December 20, 2018 may or may not be considered.
Job Category: Administrative Support and Related
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20269 - SOM-PEDS General Operations
Posting Date: Dec 6, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Josh Rosenfeld
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00756393