University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
College of Nursing | Sheridan Health Services
Position Title: Medical Assistant/Receptionist (Health Care Tech I)
Position #7067193 / Requisition #14434
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
The University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient's bedside. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and interprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002.
Nature of Work:
The University of Colorado, College of Nursing, is seeking a Health Care Technician for a full-time, (1.0 FTE) benefits-eligible position within its federally qualified community health center, Sheridan Health Services (SHS), in Southwest Denver, CO. This position will primarily provide quality care to patients at the Family Health Clinic site and may be asked to see patients at the Youth Health Clinic as well. Applicants should be educated and trained as Emergency Medical Technicians (EMT's), Certified Nursing Assistants (CNAs) Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) or Medical Assistants (MAs).
Sheridan Health Services (SHS) is a multi-site, nurse-managed federally qualified community health center, funded through the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) Bureau of Primary Healthcare; and is a collaborative effort between the College of Nursing and the Sheridan School District. There are now ~40 employees at two convenient locations to serve community health needs primarily for residents of Sheridan, Englewood, and North Littleton. The Youth Health Clinic is a school-based clinic located in the Sheridan School District Administration building. The Family Health Clinic is located in southwest Denver on the Fort Logan campus and provides services to adults. Services offered include primary care across the lifespan; prenatal and postpartum care, gynecology, dentistry, pharmacy, behavioral health, and outpatient substance abuse treatment. We extend the reach of the clinic through public health outreach where nursing students provide community outreach, health education, and home visitation services. Nursing.ucdenver.edu/Sheridan
Work is performed under the general direction and authority of the CEO of Sheridan Health Services. Direct supervision will be provided by the Nurse Case Manager.
Examples of Work Performed:
- Upholding strict compliance with University and professional policies/procedures
- Greeting patients and families
- Completing standard patient check-in procedures
- Measuring and recording vital signs
- Completes Medication Reconciliation
- Recording patient interview, history, and chief complaint
- Providing patient education with regard to office policies, medications, diagnoses, treatment, plan of care, and follow-up
- Preparing patients for examinations and performing routine screening tests
- Assisting providers with examinations and procedures
- Performs phlebotomy and collection of other lab specimens
- Changes dressings, applies bandages, removes sutures, and other first
- Preparing and administering medications with provider authorization
- Administering immunizations and maintaining immunizations records
- Arranging for hospital admissions and outside referrals for patients and providers
- Calling prescriptions to the pharmacy for providers
- Using CPR skills when required
- Answering phone and scheduling appointments
- Maintaining supplies, equipment, stocking, and sterilizing instruments
- Disposing of biohazard waste according to OSHA standards
- Practicing OSHA safety standards
- Performing accurate, legal, and ethical documentation (electronic/hard-copy) at all times
- Assisting with reporting to state and federal agencies, as needed
- Performing miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned
Salary and Benefits:
The established salary for this position is $34,956.
This position is eligible for overtime compensation.
Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line.
Total Compensation Calculator: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/total-compensation
Diversity and Equity:
Please click here for information on disability accommodations: http://www.ucdenver.edu/about/departments/HR/jobs/Pages/JobsatCUDenver.aspx
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
- Graduate from an accredited medical assistant/emergency medical technician/ nursing assistant/nursing school/program Current Medical/Nursing Assistant/EMT Diploma
- Prior medical office experience, this includes student externship
- Prior EHR (electronic health record) experience, this includes student externship
- Current BLS/CPR certification
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be willing and able to pass a sex offender registry check.
- Bilingual Spanish/English speaking
- Experience working with low-income populations within a community health center environment
- Current Medical/Nursing Assistant or EMT Certification
Skill and Ability Requirements:
- Considerable degree of independent judgment and work priorities
- Exemplary organizational skills and ability to prioritize
- Unconditional ability to maintain patient confidentiality
- Proficient in computer use and clinic software
- Knowledge of current medical procedures and understanding of basic medical terminology
- Interpersonal skills to work effectively with patients, their families, and other members of the health care team
- HIPAA and OSHA compliance
- Basic knowledge of Colorado state immunization requirements
- Availability to work weekends or evenings on an as-needed basis
- Normal patient care environment with some exposure to biological hazards and infectious diseases
Special Instructions to Applicants:Required Application Materials: To apply, please visit: http://www.cu.edu/cu-careers and attach: 1. A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2. A current CV/resume 3. List of three to five professional references (we will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references) 4. Proof of BLS/CPR Certification Questions should be directed to [email protected]
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References, Additional Attachments - Refer to Application Materials Instructions Below
Application Materials Instructions:Application Deadline: Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Job Category: Health Care
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20468 - College of Nursing
Posting Date: Aug 9, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Rod Devriendt
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00706193