IT Support Associate - Technology Services (107513)
IT Support Associate
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Technology Services at Illinois is the IT partner of the Urbana-Champaign campus which provides world-class, innovative, cost effective technologies and services that help foster discoveries and innovations from our researchers, transform the teaching and learning experiences of faculty and students, and improve the efficiency and security of the university's processes and data. We achieve this by maintaining careful alignment with the campus vision, mission, and strategic plans; demonstration of operational excellence and great customer service; enhance user experiences in everything we do; level the "digital playing field" for all; and enabling the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign to become the preeminent research one, land grant institution.
Technology Services has two (2) openings for IT Support Associate. This position provides technical expertise in a highly technical campus environment in the areas of telecommunications, data and networking, applications, security, and computing. This position must analyze, process, and coordinate responses to service requests and inquiries, resolve incidents/trouble tickets and/or escalate help request to the proper support tier or functional group. Position involves a high level of customer service.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- The incumbent answers telephone, email, chat and in-person inquiries, incidents, and service requests from external and internal sources to provide general, technical and/or procedural support to faculty, staff, and student clients as well as the community for services provided by Technology Services and general computing needs: receive and track, analyze and interpret, research and troubleshoot, process/resolve and/ or escalate requests, incidents and inquiries that fall outside of documented processes. Document actions using Technology Services ticketing system and/or Technology Services service management system as well as other internal tools and escalate unanswerable requests/inquiries/incidents along with appropriate documentation. Provide service information regarding feature/functionality, training opportunities and self-help information and documentation to campus users.
- Train and document performance of junior staff and student workers in order to maintain proper levels of customer service and support. Act as point of escalation for junior staff.
- Perform other duties as assigned including: Create support document for use within Technology Services; follow and propose alternatives to existing incident management; direct customers to existing documentation and advise management of any noticed customer needs or problems affecting services provided by Technology Services as well as suggest alternatives; serve on cross department functional team; serve on special projects; provide technical leadership; obtain basic training and certifications; and participate in seminars, classes and staff meetings.
Required Experience and Education:
Any combination totaling one year from the following categories, proportional credit can be given:
- progressively more responsible work experience in an Information Technology (IT) related profession
- 60 semester hours of college course work or an Associate's degree which included Information Technology (IT), or a closely related discipline.
- Experience working in an IT environment in Higher Education
- Experience working in an IT Help Desk troubleshooting tickets
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- General understanding and ability to use different computer software programs and on-line databases such as: Microsoft Office Suite, Microsoft Unified Communications (Outlook Exchange), Box, KnowledgeBase, and ticketing system.
- Ability to provide a positive customer service experience to those with inquiries.
- Ability to handle emergency situations in a calm and efficient manner.
- Ability to work with others cooperatively.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated organizational and time-management skills.
- Ability to adapt quickly to frequently changing policies.
- Ability to exercise initiative, use independent judgment, work and communicate well with a widely diverse population of customers and co-workers.
- Demonstrated problems solving skills.
Salary and Appointment Information
This is a full-time Civil Service IT Support Associate position appointed on a 12-month service basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after the close date. Salary is commensurate with experience.
Application Procedures and Deadline Information
To apply for this position, please create a candidate profile at https://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your cover letter, resume (months and years of employment must be included), and academic credentials (transcripts or diploma) by December 20, 2018. An online application will require names and contact information including email addresses for three references. In order to be considered as a transfer candidate, you must apply for the position. Applications not submitted through this website will not be considered. For further information regarding application procedures, you may contact Rhonda Miller at (217) 333-4222.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
College Name or Administrative Unit: Office of the CIO
Title: IT Support Associate - Technology Services (107513)
Open Date: 12/06/2018
Close Date: 12/20/2018
Organization Name: Technology Services Support