Health Insurance Account Specialist
The Regents of the University of Colorado sponsor the University of Colorado Health and Welfare Plan (CU Health Plan) funded through the University of Colorado Health and Welfare Trust (Trust). The Trust is a voluntary employees' beneficiary association as defined under section 501(c)(9) of the Internal Revenue Code. The Trust was established and adopted in 2010 by and among the Regents of the University of Colorado (CU), the University of Colorado Hospital Authority (UCHA) and University of Colorado Medicine (CU Medicine) to provide a funding mechanism for the health and welfare benefits of CU, UCHA and CU Medicine employees and their eligible dependents. Currently, the CU Health Plan covers about 32,000 employees and their dependents, about 70,000 individuals.
The Health Insurance Account Specialist will manage the CUHP (University of Colorado Health Plan) health insurance programs across three employers - University of Colorado, UCHealth, and CU Medicine; and the affiliated vendors. This position will create and maintain positive relationships with vendors and counterparts at each employer's HR department. Collaboration is essential to be successful in this position. The Health Insurance Account Specialist must coordinate requests that come in, research, and disseminate the information appropriately to meet departmental goals. This position will also serve in a project management role for the department on an as-needed basis. An outgoing, self-starter will thrive in this position. The Account Specialist will report to the Program Director for the CU Health Plan and is exempt from the State of Colorado Classified Staff system.
Duties and responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
CUHP Health Insurance/Program Management:
- Maintain a relationship with each employer's HR department personnel.
- Manage employer requests and inquiries related to medical and dental insurance plans, wellness programs, flexible spending and health savings accounts, and health insurance policies and procedures
- Research employer inquiries such as clarifying benefit explanation, walking through appeals processes, performing benefits market analysis, etc.
- Perform enhanced customer service by performing additional research and escalates as needed for complicated member issues
- Develop and maintain appropriate relationships with counterparts at each employer by regularly meeting to stay current on the needs of each group
- Research and internally present findings for upcoming wellness programming and trends
- Wellness event coordination and promotion, including travel to various employer event locations
- Customer service to member inquiries for wellness program(s)
- Manage insurance reporting, coordinating with internal and external reporting resources
- Maintain knowledge of all aspects of health insurance offerings, including but not limited to:
- plan design
- rate calculations
- trend analysis
- Review policy, underwriting, and compliance by utilizing management processes
- Review industry trends and healthcare analytics
- Act as a subject matter expert in the field of group health insurance to be seen as a credible resource
- Provide feedback and recommendations on the spot to employer stakeholders
- Maintain a relationship with the vendors who contribute to the CU Health Plans and programs across all employers
- Manage vendor inquiries and responds appropriately
- Ensure vendors are informed of any relevant information necessary to the work performed on behalf of the employers, like operational changes and open enrollment, benefit related issues members might be experiencing, etc.
- Perform necessary vendor and market related research
- Use understanding of CU Health Plan insurance contract design to provide clarifications to vendors
- Serve as point-of-contact for employers as needed
- Manage projects as needed
- Own project from start to finish including but not limited to:
- Creation of project proposal, strategy, planning and timeline, requirements gathering, scheduling, and facilitating discussions
- Create and maintain documentation of roles, responsibilities, and stakeholders
- Create project communication plan (updates, etc.) reflecting audience, frequency, review by, and execution dates, and adheres to schedule.
- Document procurement process (DQ, RFP, PO, etc.) in relation to assigned projects (DQ, RFP, PO, etc.)
- Manage project plan and hold resources accountable for on-time task completion
- Monitor project scope within weekly status meeting and provide minutes and status reports
- Knowledge of medical and wellness organizational structures
- Knowledge of vendor and project management best practices
- Knowledge of the Affordable Care Act and application to group health insurance
- Ability to complete thorough and accurate research and appropriately apply to projects assigned
- Ability to think critically and act strategically
- Ability to operate successfully with limited direction from superiors
- Exceptional organizational and communication skills
- Exceptional interpersonal and customer service skills
What we offer:
Salary: Salary is competitive and commensurate with skills and experience.
Benefits: The University of Colorado offers an excellent benefits package including:
- Medical: Multiple plan options
- Dental: Multiple plan options
- Additional Insurance: Disability, Life, Vision and Wellness
- Retirement 401(a) Plan: Employer contributes 10% of your gross pay
- Paid Time Off: Accruals over the year
- Vacation Days: 22
- Sick Days: 15
- Holiday Days: 10
- Tuition Benefit: System employees have the benefit on all campuses
- ECO Pass: RTD Bus and light rail service
- Additional Perks & Programs: Click here to access a few more Perks and Programs
Click here to access our Total Compensation Calculator to see what your total rewards could be at CU. This position is a University Staff position.
For more information on benefits programs, including eligibility, is available at www.cu.edu/employee-services/.
- Bachelor Degree from an accredited college or university or equivalent professional experience. (The educational requirement may be substituted by relevant professional work experience on a year for year basis).
- Four (4) years' of in-depth experience working with the health insurance industry and/or health benefits
- Experience with a national insurance carrier
- Experience with HIPAA
- Health Benefit Accreditation (e.g., CEBS)
- Experience working with Higher Education
- Excel and enrollment management database experience
- Experience utilizing industry standard project management tools
Special Instructions to Applicants:For full consideration completed applications must be submitted by October 31, 2018. Reference checking is a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including email addresses, for up to five references as part of the search process for this position. *Please note: All application materials must be submitted through CU Careers; emailed materials will not be considered.*
The University of Colorado is committed to providing a safe and productive learning and living community. To achieve that goal, we conduct background investigations for all final applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial and/or motor vehicle history. The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires a verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:You must attach a cover letter, resume, and references to your application as three separate documents. Please identify the job specific minimum qualifications you possess in your cover letter. Also, ensure you check the "Job Specific Attachments" box next the each document on the "Required Documents" page of the application for the appropriate documents to be attached.
Job Category: Business Services
Primary Location: Denver
Department: S0001 -- System Administration - 50078 - CU Health Plan Administration
Posting Date: Oct 18, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: John Gargaro
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00705725