Vice Chair of Education - Department of Medicine
UNIVERSITY OF COLORADO
DEPARTMENT OF MEDICINE
VICE CHAIR OF EDUCATION POSITION
The University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.
NATURE OF THE WORK
The Department of Medicine at the University of Colorado School of Medicine seeks a Vice Chair of Education for the Department. This individual will lead the educational mission of this large and dynamic division of the Department of Medicine (DOM). The University of Colorado DOM provides innovative educational opportunities across the spectrum of medical education from medical students through residents, fellows, faculty and continuing medical education. Medical students education in the DOM includes the clinical clerkship in inpatient internal medicine, an ambulatory clerkship and several electives. Additionally, faculty in the DOM are responsible for several courses across the four years of the undergraduate medical curriculum, serving more than 700 medical students. The internal medicine residency program is a large training program designed to produce future internists, subspecialists, and physician-scientists who will become leaders in their fields. An emphasis is placed on individualized rotations, research, and curricular content according to specific career goals of each of our approximately 183 trainees. The Departments of Medicine and Pediatrics have recently developed a Medicine-Pediatrics residency program. Fellowship training programs in all subspecialities are highly ranked destinations for trainees from across the country. The DOM also supports subspecialty fellows to develop skills as medical educators, and has developed a scholars program for faculty who are primarily focused on medical education. The DOM educational programs are based at four core clinical sites; University Hospital, Veterans Affairs Hospital , Denver Health Medical Center (the safety-net county hospital), and National Jewish Health.
This position is at least a 0.50 FTE and reports directly to the Chair of DOM. The VCE will oversee the work of internal medicine clerkship directors, the residency program director, associate program directors and fellowship directors. Administrative support will be provided for the role.
1. Continually define and refine the educational mission of the DOM, exercising regular oversight and authority over all educational programs.
2. The VCE will work with the chair of the DOM on all matters that interact with education throughout the department.
3. After sufficient time to realize all DOM educational missions and defined pathways for success, the VCE shall be given budgetary control for education for the DOM.
4. The VCE shall have oversight for all primary educational programs in the DOM including UME and GME at both residency and fellowship levels. This includes support and guidance for all education leaders within the DOM, and the VCE will support the Internal Medicine Program Director to provide oversight of Fellowship educational activities.
5. The VCE shall have oversight of Innovative Education Programs in the DOM.
6. The VCE shall have oversight of lifelong learning activities including CME and professional development in the DOM, with specific responsibility for Grand Rounds as the premier educational offering of the DOM.
7. The VCE will support the Vice Chair for Faculty Development for the DOM with regard to professional development efforts for clinician educators.
8. The VCE shall provide mentorship and faculty development for Clinician-Educators within the DOM.
9. The VCE shall have coordinated oversight of all International Education Programs in collaboration with the Vice Chair for Global Health.
10. The VCE will coordinate all of the efforts for the workforce pipeline within the DOM, including collaboration with the Vice Chair for Diversity and Justice to promote the DOM mission to enhance and increase diversity within the department across all of the DOM training programs.
11. The VCE shall actively identify additional funding opportunities for education within the DOM.
12. The VCE will meet with vice chairs from other departments as well as other educational and administrative leaders on campus to routinely identify best practices and additional opportunities for interprofessional interactions.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line.
Total Compensation Calculator: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/total-compensation
Diversity and Equity:
Please click here for information on disability accommodations: http://www.ucdenver.edu/about/departments/HR/jobs/Pages/JobsatCUDenver.aspx
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
- Board certification in internal medicine
- Mid career associate or full professor rank
- A minimum of 5 years of UME or GME educational administrative experience with a proven track record of educational leadership and excellence in teaching.
- An innovative approach to medical education, curriculum and program development
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, conflict management and negotiation skills
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Dedication to diversity, equity and inclusive excellence
- Commitment to education as the path to move forward critical missions within the DOM
- Ability to gain credibility and respect among high level leadership
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, Additional Attachments - Refer to Application Materials Instructions Below
Application Materials Instructions:Applications for this position will be accepted through CU Careers and must include a CV, letter of interest and statement of commitment to diversity and inclusion. Questions can be addressed to Kelly Redard, Administrative Liaison to the Search Committee, at [email protected]
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20153 - SOM-MED Administration
Posting Date: Dec 6, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Kelly Redard
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00756896