STAFF WRITER B
Duties: The University of Pennsylvania's Development and Alumni Relations Marketing and Communications (DARMAX) Department is responsible for conceiving and executing communications strategies to advance the goals of Penn's Development and Alumni Relations office (DAR) and the mission of the University.
To provide writing support for the Stewardship Communications group within Development and Alumni Relations Marketing and Communications (DARMAX), primarily drafting, editing, and producing financial gift acknowledgement letters and varying correspondence for the President of the University and Senior Vice President, Development and Alumni Relations. This position also requires writing, editing, and managing donor-related data for stewardship services the team provides for the Office of Undergraduate Financial Aid (UGFA), primarily the production of the annual scholarship donor reports. Lastly, the Staff Writer provides writing and proofreading support for The Penn Priority, Penn Parents, People Supporting Penn and other publications/websites as needed. The Staff Writer B serves as an integral member of the Stewardship Communications team.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
* Research and compose correspondence for the President of the University of Pennsylvania and Senior Vice President, Development and Alumni Relations, including (but not limited to) letters acknowledging gifts, condolences, congratulations, and personal greetings, while also copyediting and proofreading work of other staff members
* Work closely with the Associate Director on presidential acknowledgement-related projects, including but not limited to creating templates and addressing special correspondence requests
* Gain proficiency in all procedures unique to Stewardship Communications' presidential and senior vp acknowledgements process, particularly the FileMaker letter tracking database
* Work closely with the Associate Director in preparing scholarship reports for UGFA, and gain proficiency in using the FileMaker scholarships database.
* Provides writing and proofreading support for The Penn Priority, Penn Parents, People Supporting Penn and other publications/websites as needed.
* Provide event support during the annual Alumni Weekend.
Nature of Supervision Received and Exercised:
The Staff Writer reports directly to the Senior Director, Stewardship Communications in partnership with the Associate Directors responsible for acknowledgments and scholarship reporting. The Staff Writer also has frequent contact with staff across Development and Alumni Relations, UGFA, and the President's Office.
Qualifications: A Bachelor's degree from accredited college or university and at least 2-3 years of professional writing experience, specifically in the area of business writing and/or development communications. Excellent copyediting, research, organizational, and computer literacy skills, including superior word-processing knowledge and familiarity with database programs. Self-motivated and self-directed with ability to work effectively as a member of a team and independently. Has ability to meet deadlines in what is periodically a high volume/fast-paced production environment, and is able to manage unanticipated requests.
Reference Number: 90-30565
Salary Grade: 026
Employment Type: Exempt
Org: DAR Communications
Special Requirements: Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.
Job Family: M-Writing/Communications/Public Relations