Legal Affairs - ASSISTANT TO THE SECRETARY TO THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES
Vacancy ID S2381 Job Title ASSISTANT TO THE SECRETARY TO THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES Department Legal Affairs School/Parent Organization Legal Affairs Parent Org Division Legal Affairs Division Employment Category Fulltime-Regular Anticipated start date 01/07/2019 If temporary, expected end date Hours per week 37.5 Weeks Per Year 52.2 Normal Start Time 08:30 Normal End Time 17:00 Position/Job Summary
Strategize and execute all programs, events, and meetings involving the Board of Trustees, both on and off campus. Manage the planning, logistics and implementation of events, develop processes and procedures to streamline event planning, the event management process, and post event wrap-up. Prepare board meetings and events by creating event briefs and preparing presentations and talking points as needed. Oversee preparation of correspondence and electronic communications, draft correspondence and ensure timely responses. Facilitate meetings, prepare board packets, mailings, and other materials, and maintain records, files and databases related to Board activities. Handle sensitive and confidential matters expeditiously and proactively. Lead special projects, events and initiatives. Conduct research and assist in the preparation of comprehensive analyses and reports. Serve as first point of contact with Board members. Work collaboratively with the Board of Trustees, senior leaders, faculty, staff, students, parents, alumni, and distinguished individuals.
1. Strategize, execute, and ensure a positive atmosphere for all programs, events, and meetings, involving the Board of Trustees, both on and off campus. Manage the planning, logistics and implementation of events, develop processes and procedures to streamline event planning, the event management process, and post event wrap-up. Prepare board meetings and events by creating event briefs and preparing presentations and talking points as needed. Facilitate meetings, prepare board packets, mailings, and other materials, and maintain records, files and databases related to Board activities. Use independent judgment regarding event alternatives, modifications, or last-minute changes, and coordinate or provide support during the events. Distribute the President's report and other materials to the Board of Trustees.
2. Work collaboratively and demonstrate leadership to maintain credibility, trust and support with the Board of Trustees, senior leadership team, administrators, faculty, staff and students. Serve as first point of contact with Board members; oversee travel, meals, and logistical support for the Board of Trustees; and arrange for transportation to and from the airport.
3. Compose and prepare confidential and sensitive correspondence, draft correspondence and ensure timely responses. Handle sensitive and confidential matters expeditiously and proactively. Maintain confidential materials and communications related to issues dealt with by General Counsel pertaining to all areas of the College, including Vice Presidents, President and the Board of Trustees.
4. Manage of the Board of Trustees budget to include assimilating data and forecasting and analyzing expenditures and revenues for use in preparing budgets, monitoring, verifying and reconciling expenditures of budgeted funds, and making recommendations regarding proposed budgets and the need for setting up of new accounts. Access financial information and process purchase orders, reconcile credit card expenditures, process travel forms, pay invoices, and provide monthly budget/financial updates.
5. Develop, demonstrate, and promote multicultural awareness and contribute to cultivating an inclusive, diverse and respectful College community. Demonstrate a commitment to diversity and inclusion as a college priority, communicate to employees an expectation of behavior that is civil and inclusive when interacting with all staff, faculty, students and visitors and promote a flexible, collaborative and inclusive work and living environment.
6. Prepare and maintain governance documents, files, and records recording the history of the College and maintain confidential records of Board activities. Conduct research and assist in the preparation of comprehensive analyses and reports. Coordinate proper maintenance and storage of Board of Trustee robes and hoods.
7. Lead special projects, events and initiatives. Develop and maintain effective working relationships within the campus community, and with individuals having contact with the Board of Trustees and the Office of Legal Affairs.
1. Bachelor's degree or 4 years related experience or the equivalent combination of education and experience
2. Impeccable written, interpersonal, organizational, and verbal communication skills and the highest level of attention to detail
3. Self-motivated and demonstrated ability to take initiative and to multi-task, adapt to changing priorities and meet deadlines
4. Enthusiastic and positive "can-do" attitude
5. Demonstrated ability to work independently and perform duties with a high level of professionalism, follow-through, flexibility, discretion, judgment, accuracy, diplomacy and tact
6. Demonstrated experience working with MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint at an intermediate to advanced level and willingness to learn and master new software programs
7. Demonstrated ability to plan, develop and implement activities, programs and special events
8. Demonstrated ability to work effectively with a diverse student, faculty, staff, and alumni population, to cultivate an inclusive, diverse and welcoming environment, and to treat all people equitably in a culturally competent manner
9. Demonstrated ability to handle and process highly sensitive and confidential information
10. Flexibility to work some evenings and weekends
1. Master's degree
2. Experience working in a college or university setting
3. Experience working in a fast-paced environment
Ithaca College is committed to building a diverse academic community and encourages members of underrepresented groups to apply. Experience that contributes to the diversity of the college is appreciated.
Instructions for submitting your application:
Interested applicants must apply online at http://ithaca.edu/jobs/ and attach a resume and cover letter. The cover letter should clearly address how the background and experience of the candidate matches the qualifications. Questions about online application should be directed to the Office of Human Resources at (607) 274-8000. Screening of applications will begin immediately. To ensure full consideration, complete applications should be received by December 3, 2018.
Work authorization (select one): Visa sponsorship is not provided for this position Department description College Description
At Ithaca College, a comprehensive residential campus community of 6,500 students, we strive to be at the forefront of the higher education landscape. We offer a distinct integrative learning experience that makes students ready for the personal, professional, and global challenges of our age.
We seek candidates who embrace integrative learning and want to be a part of this exciting time in Ithaca College history. We encourage creative collaboration and innovation in our faculty and staff, providing support and resources for them to grow in their fields and lead students to their own innovative ideas and achievements.
We welcome different ways of thinking and look for candidates with unique points of view and life experiences. We are inclusive of individuals with a wide range of cultural, personal, and professional backgrounds, talents, and skills. Our campus is a vibrant and rewarding community where diverse minds can learn, succeed, and excel.
When reviewing candidates, we are looking for indicators of a number of core competencies. Prospective candidates must be adaptable, collaborative, inclusive, respectful, responsive, results driven, and sustainable. They must communicate effectively, demonstrate leadership, exhibit professional integrity and ethics, take initiative, value personal and professional development, and show that they will engage in the college.
Nestled in the heart of New York State's scenic Finger Lakes region, Ithaca College sits atop South Hill overlooking picturesque Cayuga Lake and is just minutes away from the city center. Combining small town warmth and charm with the vibrancy of a college community, the thriving and culturally diverse city of Ithaca has been rated by Kiplinger's as one of the top 10 places to live in the United States.
To learn more about Ithaca College, visit us at http://ithaca.edu
Market Hiring Range $52,000 to $60,000 FLSA Status Exempt Is this position eligible for benefits? Yes
Documents Needed to Apply
- Cover Letter
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).