Academic Advisor (Time-Limited)
Position Title: Academic Advisor (Time-Limited)
Position Number: 088128
Full-time or Part-time: Full Time
Department: College of Education
Posting Number: 0401235
SHRA/EHRA: EHRA (Non-Faculty)
Job Category: Professional
Hiring Range: $36,638-$47,000
Minimum salary: $36,638
Maximum salary: $58,621
Overall Position Competency: Flat Rate
Description of primary duties and responsibilities:
The position is being re-posted. Previous applicants are still under consideration and need not re-apply.
This is a time-limited position
Primary Purpose of the Organization:
The College of Education at Fayetteville State University prepares knowledgeable, reflective, and caring professionals in the fields of education, research, and service. The COE proudly prepares transformational educators and leaders through licensure only options and degrees at the bachelors, masters, and doctoral levels for the southeastern region of the state, nation, and the global community.
The College of Education Advisement and Recruitment Center (COEARC) is a division housed within the College of Education and currently funded by Title III. This unit set the Professional trend on Fayetteville State University's campus by being the first to provide full-time Professional Academic Advising services by a temporary employee. This position is necessary to be permanent because of the success and quality of service measured by soaring marks from student satisfaction surveys. Our main purpose is to design and promote fundamental and ongoing advisement to freshmen and transfer students admitted to Fayetteville State University with an interest in pursuing a degree in an area of teacher education.
Description of Work Continued:
This is a time-limited position
Primary Purpose of the Position:
The College of Education Advisement and Recruitment Center (COEARC) is seeking a permanent full-time, time-limited Professional Academic Advisor to be the first point of contact for first time freshmen and transfer students entering Fayetteville State University as Pre-Education Majors. Professional Academic Advisor will also develop a program/degree plan for every Pre-Education major that guides them towards graduation or program completion. The Professional Academic Advisor is expected to provide ongoing advisement, support, and connections resources needed for student success.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements:
A master's degree from an accredited institution with least 2 - 3 years' work experience, or bachelor's degree with 5+ years of experience in a higher education setting, preferably in academic advising, counseling, admissions, enrollment management, or student affairs.
Knowledge skills and abilities:
The duties and responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
• reviewing transcripts from former institutions and evaluate the course equivalencies for the University College core curriculum and work with faculty advisors and department chairs to determine major equivalencies.
• advising students in determining correct major within the College of Education
• assisting students with understanding and following a pathway from declaration of major through graduation
• reviewing programs of study through DegreeWorks and departmental forms, addressing flags and making notes in BroncoConnect
• assisting in improving retention and graduation rates through direct student contact and ongoing academic support
• enhancing student awareness about educational resources on campus (e.g., PRAXIS Lab, Curriculum & Resource Labs, Tutorial Services)
• monitoring academic progress and evaluating and/or re-evaluating academic goals as students matriculate through the program.
• assisting and occasionally presenting at C.A.R.E (Challenging and Reaching Educators) Trainings and Praxis Preparation Workshops.
• assisting with the planning and implementation of The Annual Excellence in Teaching Conference host by the COE
• attending advising conferences, professional development opportunities, college and unit meetings
• responding to inquiries about the FSU transfer process from prospective transfer candidates by phone and email communication
• working with SOE departments and other University offices to maximize student success.
• teaching University Studies (UNIV) courses, as needed.
• completing paperwork regarding admission to Teacher Education and Clinical Experience (Student Teaching).
• tracking candidate academic progress to assist department chairs with course offerings and scheduling for teacher education degree programs.
• Complete reports and report data needed for teacher recruitment, IHE Report, and Title III Reports.
• Participate in special programs such as First Steps, Fall Preview, Majors Fair, etc.
An earned master's degree from an accredited institution.
At least 2-3 years work experience in a higher education setting, preferably in academic advising, counseling or student affairs.
Position requires the use of personal computers to complete duties; therefore, applicant must be knowledgeable in Microsoft Office products (Word, PowerPoint, and Excel). Knowledge of the SCT Banner software.
The applicant must have excellent interpersonal and customer service skills; and must be able to manage a wide variety of records, files, and reports. The applicant must have personal and professional attributes to include punctuality, diligence, commitment, integrity, teamwork, and confidentiality. Proficiency in the use of the SCT Banner software (Banner Self-service and Native Banner).
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please note that this position is time-limited and subject to funding. The position is being re-posted. Previous applicants are still under consideration and need not re-apply.
Closing Date: 12/11/2018
Open Until Filled: No
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * What is your highest level of completed education?
- High School/GED
- Associates Degree
- Bachelors Degree
- Masters Degree
- * Do you possess at least 2-3 years work experience in a higher education setting, preferably in academic advising, counseling or student affairs?
- * Do you have working knowledge and experience with Banner? If so, please explain.
(Open Ended Question)
Optional & Required Documents
- Cover Letter
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Other Document
This position is subject to the successful completion of an employment background check. An employment background check includes a criminal background check, employment verification, reference checks, license verification (if applicable), academic verification and credit history check (if applicable).
Fayetteville State University is committed to equality of educational opportunity and employment and does not discriminate against applicants, students, or employees based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability, genetic information or veteran status. Moreover, Fayetteville State University values diversity and actively seeks to recruit talented students, faculty, and staff from diverse backgrounds.
Fayetteville State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and seeks priority referrals of protected veterans for our openings.