ABE/GED Science Instructor
About Baltimore City Community College
Founded in 1947, Baltimore City Community College (BCCC) is a comprehensive, urban institution accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. The College's campus is located in West Baltimore; the institution also has several satellite locations throughout the city. With its broad range of degree and certificate programs, affordable tuition, and extensive outreach, BCCC offers educational opportunities to the citizens of Baltimore City and throughout the state of Maryland. BCCC serves more than 15,000* students annually, providing credits that transfer to four-year colleges and universities as well as workforce training leading directly to job placement. The College is proud of the fact that 100** nations are represented within the student body.
* Based on annual unduplicated credit and non-credit headcount for FY 2016. **Based on fall 2015 credit enrollment.
Requisition Number: 2018-108
Posting Start Date: 8/10/2018
Minimum Education: Bachelors
Additional Documentation: Transcripts Required (upload as other)
Compensation: $28.42 per hour
ABE/GED Science Instructor
The Adult Basic Education (ABE) Instructor plans and implements instruction to students enrolled in the Adult Education/GED program, which offers Literacy, Pre-GED and GED courses. The Science instructor is responsible for the instruction, assessment and student progress in ABE/GED Science courses. These courses are designed to be responsive to the needs and expectations of the diverse community and students we serve. Our goal is to help students achieve their career and learning goals. Responsibilities include teaching, developing and implementing lesson plans, differentiating instruction and following student record keeping processes and procedures.
- Provide high-quality instruction to adult basic education program participants employing research-based instructional strategies and best practices including differentiated instruction.
- Integrate the career awareness and workforce readiness curricula into instruction.
- Provide mentoring support to students including referral to tutoring services and guidance in a career pathway.
- Conduct formative and summative student assessments
- Maintain all required student records and complete all reporting requirements
- Attend required professional development activities
- Continually communicate with students on instructional expectations and keep them informed of their progress in meeting those expectations.
- Demonstrate knowledge of and cultural sensitivity toward adult education student population
- Demonstrate knowledge of the characteristic of adult learners
- Proficient in using Internet browsers, Microsoft Word
- Ability to use technology for instruction and student reporting purposes
- Commitment to the mission and philosophy of BCCC
- Bachelor's degree or higher in education or related field
- Valid standard professional teaching certificate appropriate to the subject taught
- Minimum of 3 years of classroom instruction (Secondary Education or Adult Education)
BCCC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by law.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. Applicants needing accommodation for any part of the application and/or hiring process should request the accommodation from The Office of Human Resources office by contacting us at [email protected]
For more information, view the EEO is the Law Poster and Pay Transparency Statement.