Program Associate Climate Change Initiative
Job no: 496810
Position Type: Staff Full Time
Benefit Status: Benefited-Union
Campus: UMass Lowell
Department: Envir Earth&Atmos.Science
Salary: $40,000 - $45,000
Applications Open: Dec 06 2018
Applications Close: Open until filled
General Summary of Position:
The UMass Lowell Climate Change Initiative (CCI) and Environmental Science Department are hiring a Program Associate to bring climate and energy research and communication tools and insights to students, communities, and leaders across the US to empower them to address climate change. This position is full-time for one year and may be extended based on successful performance and the availability of funding. It includes a generous benefits package and would be a good fit for someone highly motivated to use their skills in communications, analysis, and project support to make an important difference in the world.
The Program Associate will work with CCI Director, Juliette Rooney-Varga, the CCI team, and the iStronG and Geo-Interactive Project teams to build on the CCI's success in motivating climate action informed by science across the US and the world. Both the iStronG and Geo-Interactive projects are funded by the National Science Foundation and bring innovative, immersive learning experiences about climate and energy to low-income, first-generation-in-college students across the US.
The Program Associate will work with our team to:
- Develop interactive, simulation-based tools that enable people to learn about the climate-energy system and that catalyze action informed by science.
- Communicate about these tools and empower a community of users to bring them to their own networks.
- Develop curriculum material ‘wrappers' that enable widespread adoption of educational tools that build skills, knowledge, and motivation needed to address climate change.
- Communicate the story of CCI research to broad audiences.
The Program Associate will reach out to new audiences, plan training workshops, lead webinars, organize logistics, track project outcomes, write for social media, and troubleshoot problems. The Program Associate will also provide support in writing blog posts, creating and improving web content, developing outreach materials, planning events, and conducting research that supports project leaders' data analyses and modeling work.
Remote telecommuting is possible, but would require regular trips to Lowell MA (every 2-4 weeks on average).
Minimum Qualifications (Required):
- Bachelor's degree
- 3-5 years of related experience
- Ability to be highly productive when working independently
- Experience and passionate about climate change, sustainability, and/or energy transition
- Excellent writing and editing skills for a variety of settings
- Tech savvy and able to learn new software and technologies, such as statistical analysis and modeling software, CMS platforms for websites, and project management technology
- Strong quantitative skills
- Detail-oriented and organized
- Strong writing skills
- Excellent communication skills across various levels, including writing, presentation and facilitation
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Only current UML Employees within the Grants & Contracts (MTA/GRACE) bargaining unit will be considered during the first 10 business days of the posting. All other candidates will be considered after that period.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled; however, the posting may close when an adequate number of qualified applications are received.
This position is contingent upon funding. This position is full-time for one year contingent upon funding and may be extended based on successful performance and the availability of funding.
Please include with your application a resume, cover letter and writing sample. **Writing sample should include samples of your work, so that we might learn more about your experience and skills. We're especially interested in any communications, websites, or teaching materials you have developed. Names and contact information of three references will be required during the application process.
The University of Massachusetts Lowell is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action, Title IX employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age over 40, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, marital status, or other protected class.