Manager, Research Administration
Manager, Research Administration
Job Number: 81379
Manager, Research Administration
Job Code: 4484 Job Grade: J FTE: 100%, Exempt, Continuous
School of Engineering, Office of the Dean
Are you ready for the next step in your research administration career? Are you excited by an opportunity to lead and develop a team? Do you want to be part of a dynamic team that supports cutting-edge research at a top-tier research institution? If so, this may be the job for you!
The School of Engineering (SoE)
SoE has been at the forefront of innovation for nearly a century, creating pivotal technologies that have transformed the worlds of information technology, communications, health care, energy, business and beyond. Our faculty and students are creative risk-takers who pursue excellence across a breadth of disciplines. Our alumni include some of the world's most successful leaders in technology and business. Our staff facilitate SoE's efforts to accomplish its mission: seeking solutions to some of the world's most urgent challenges and educating leaders who will make the world a better place through the power of engineering principles, techniques and systems.
On behalf of eight SoE academic departments, Engineering Research Administration (ERA) administers approximately 920 annual awards and over $120 million in annual sponsored research. ERA is a high-volume and productive administrative unit, and ERA staff collectively manage the pre- and post-award activities for a large and diverse portfolio of sponsoring agencies (over 290 different agencies). You will oversee a team of Research Administrators (RAs) and the management of the pre-award, proposal preparation, and post-award activities for a diverse set of sponsored research projects. These portfolios include federal and non-federal sponsors, and involve multiple sub-awards, principal investigators, and/or cross-school initiatives. As a subject matter expert in these areas, you will be responsible for developing, implementing, and managing support functions and programs to share this expertise.
As Manager, you:
Have the opportunity to shape, guide, and manage a dynamic team of RAs. We are looking for a leader who will foster communication, build good working relationships within the unit and across campus, develop team support and rapport, improve customer service, produce compliant and accurate work, and simplify the flow of work among the faculty, ERA, and Stanford's Office of Sponsored Research. Reporting to the Director of ERA, you will be an integral part of ERA's leadership team.
In this role, some of your specific responsibilities will be to:
1. Orient new staff; build a team; delegate tasks and projects; monitor the timely and accurate completion of work; mentor and manage staff; conduct performance appraisals; help RAs close gaps in performance.
2. Work with ERA Training Specialist and other resource providers to develop training tools and programs; ensure the continuous improvement and development of team members in the field of research administration and in customer service, finance and general administration.
3. Assist team members in developing proposals for a large and diverse collection of external funding agencies; review departmental proposals for soundness and compliance with proposal guidelines; help team interpret complex regulations, rules, policies, and procedures; provide advice and guidance to ensure the team's operations comply with policies and guidelines set forth by ERA and the University; oversee the closeout of grants and contracts, periodic updates to files, and distribution of all official notices; provide financial management services to PIs and administrators within the Department.
4. Serve as a “working lead” by managing staff but also administering a portfolio of contracts and grants; provide short-term backup coverage within the team or other ERA teams during times of heavy workload, after hours, absentees, etc.; serve as a sponsor-specific expert to other ERA teams (e.g. NSF expert, NIH expert, etc.).
5. Solve complex problems; escalate issues to senior management when necessary; participate in making strategic and managerial decisions for ERA; attend and periodically lead ERA's staff meetings.
To be successful in this role, you demonstrate:
*Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
Why Stanford is for You
Imagine a world without search engines or social platforms. Consider lives saved through first-ever organ transplants and research to cure illnesses. Stanford University has revolutionized the way we live and enrich the world. Supporting this mission is our diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff. We seek talent driven to impact the future of our legacy. Our culture and unique perks empower you with:
- Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
- A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.
- A healthier you. Climb our rock wall, or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.
- Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts and more!
We invite you to apply for this position by clicking on the “Apply for Job” button. In order to be considered, a cover letter and resume must be submitted along with your online application. Your one-page cover letter should briefly describe your background in customer service and provide examples of your experience with attention to detail, responsiveness, and decision-making.
Location: School of Engineering, California, United States
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: stanfordcareers.stanford.edu
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency