Adjunct Faculty - Political Science, Middle College
Date: December 6, 2018
Title: Adjunct Faculty - Political Science, Middle College
Position number: 939
Work schedule: Fall / Winter semester
Reports to: Associate Dean of Evaluation and Hiring, School of Arts and Sciences
Close Date: Open until filled
The College is seeking candidates to teach PS 110: Survey of American Government at our Middle College site in Ottawa Hills and possibly other locations. These classes involve teaching college-level material to upper-level high school students as part of GRCC’s Middle College program. The candidate must be available to teach Monday, Tuesday and Thursday between 1:00 and 3:00pm in the winter semester. There is potential to teach in future semesters in both the Middle College program and on GRCC’s Main Campus.
Essential Job Functions
- Maintain accurate course records and submit related reports as requested.
- Effectively assess student performance.
- Create a safe and inclusive learning environment for students.
- Utilize multiple strategies to facilitate learning.
- Support the Department and College through other work normally expected of adjunct faculty members.
- Master’s Degree or PhD in Political Science or a closely related field with at least 18 graduate credits in the teaching discipline.
- Teaching experience, especially in a high school setting, is preferred.
- Experience working with students from diverse backgrounds and with varying academic skills.
- Participation in professional development and/or continuous improvement activities.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated initiative and problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to perform routine and unexpected duties with minimum supervision.
- An understanding of and appreciation for the community college philosophy.
- An interest in teaching college-level material to high school students as part of a middle college program.
- An interest in working with diverse student populations, who represent a wide range of ethnicity, national origin and ability.
- Willingness and availability to work a flexible schedule.
- High energy level with enthusiasm and interest in helping and supporting students, staff, and the general public.
- Ability to work under pressure while possessing mature judgment and flexibility in regards to interruptions and schedule changes.
- Must use good judgment in handling sensitive or difficult situations in a pleasant and professional manner.
- Must have the physical capacity for lifting up to 25lbs.
- Classroom environment in a high school academic setting.
Method of Application
Grand Rapids Community College is only accepting online applications for this position via our website at https://www.grcc.edu/jobs. Please include your resume and cover letter in one document; unofficial transcripts; and three letters of recommendation, which you may upload yourself (My Activities/Add Attachment) or have your supporters e-mail to [email protected] Individuals with diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Grand Rapids Community College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Grand Rapids Community College creates an inclusive learning and working environment that recognizes the value and dignity of each person. It is the policy and practice of GRCC to provide equal educational and employment opportunities regardless of age, race, color, religion, marital status, sex/gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, height, weight, national origin, disability, political affiliation, familial status, veteran status or genetics in all programs, activities, services, employment and advancement including admissions to, access to, treatment in, or compensation in employment as required by state and federal law. GRCC is committed to reviewing all aspects of GRCC programs, activities, services and employment, including recruitment, selection, retention and promotion to identify and eliminate barriers in order to prevent discrimination on the basis of the listed protected characteristics. The college will not tolerate any form of retaliation against any person for bringing charges of discrimination or participating in an investigation. Further information may be obtained from the EEO Office or the Office of General Counsel, 143 Bostwick Avenue NE, Grand Rapids, MI 49503-3295.