Grant Accountant I
Office of Human Resources
400 E. Main Street
Frankfort, KY 40601
Fax: (502) 597-6450
Job Title: GRANTS ACCOUNTANT I
Division: Finance and Administration
Reporting to the Director of Accounting, the Grants Accountant I will perform a variety of activities involved in the review of sponsored research grants and contract proposals to ensure compliance with agency and University regulations. This role will track and forecast expenditures, assist in making recommendations on budgetary goals, and work directly with the principal investigators and appropriate offices.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Conduct initial review of grant and contract proposals to ensure compliance with applicable University, Federal, State, etc. obligations and assurances.
- Advise and assist project directors and University support offices to ensure compliance with policies set forth by the University and external agencies.
- Respond to questions from principal investigators and funding agencies related to details of proposals such as fringe benefit rates, verification of salaries and indirect costs.
- Assist principal investigators with fiscal services such as budget preparation and interpretation of expenditure policies of the University and the funding agency.
- Review information received from funding agencies and distribute to appropriate administrators and investigators; keep abreast of changes in policies and regulations of granting agencies.
- Research and summarize information on government regulations pertinent to grants and contracts.
- Coordinate the maintenance of a grants data base, indirect cost policies, and subcontracts; code information for data entry in Banner Grants module.
- Follow up with funding agencies and principal investigators concerning questions, inconsistencies or additional information/materials needed.
- Coordinate the maintenance of the proposal and award filing system. Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor degree in Accounting, Finance, or Business required.
- At least one year of experience involving the administration or accounting of grants and contracts.
- An equivalent combination of relevant education and/or experience will be evaluated.
- KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Knowledge of federal and state financial regulations, and university financial policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of university and/or public auditing policies, standards, and procedures.
- Knowledge of accounting and accounts receivable principles, methodology, and practices.
- Ability to use independent judgment and to manage and impart information to a range of clientele and/or media sources.
- Ability to plan, organize, implement, and administer complex recordkeeping systems and procedures.
- Ability to write reports containing technical information.
- Ability to foster a cooperative work environment.
- Ability to identify and secure alternative funding/revenue sources.
- Knowledge of faculty and/or staff hiring procedures.
- Skill in budget preparation and fiscal management.
- Knowledge of software to quantify and illustrate complex financial reports, comparisons, impacts, and/or projections.
- Proficient in ERP software (i.e. Banner).
- Knowledge of financial/business analysis techniques.
- Knowledge of customer service standards and procedures.
- Knowledge of cashiering and cash management principles, systems, procedures, and standards.
- Outstanding interpersonal and community relations skills and the ability to communicate and work effectively within a diverse community.
- Ability to supervise and train employees, to include organizing, prioritizing, and scheduling work assignments.
- Employee development and performance management skills.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL EFFORT:
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment.
- Very limited physical effort required.
- Very limited exposure to physical risk.
It is the policy of Kentucky State University not to discriminate against any individual in its educational programs, activities or employment on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, veteran status, age, religion or marital status. Rev. 12/4/2015 Revised: 11/30/18