Office of Human Resources
400 E. Main Street
Frankfort, KY 40601
Fax: (502) 597-6450
JOB TITLE: Account I
DIVISION: Business and Finance
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
Under direct supervision, performs routine accounting functions such as ledger/account maintenance, cost analysis, reconciliation, posting, and inventory control. Prepares financial reports through analysis of simple operating statistics and/or financial data.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Monitors revenue and expenses for departmental or unit accounts; ensures expenditure control and compliance with funding and reporting requirements, university policy, and standard accounting procedures.
- Constructs routine spreadsheet applications, prepares financial data for input into finance and human resources systems, and generates reports; performs calculations which may include interest and depreciation.
- Coordinates the preparation of regularly scheduled and special billings, costs reports, analyses, studies, inventories, and financial statements for local, state, federal and private funding sources.
- Reviews and approves expenditure, personnel, and purchasing documents for availability of funding, mathematical correctness, and compliance with university policy and state and federal funding requirements.
- Analyzes, reconciles, balances, and maintains accounting records; develops budgets and special financial reports.
- Prepares, reviews, and processes budget, revenue, expense, payroll, and related correcting entries and may prepare bank reconciliations of intermediate complexity.
- Interacts with and trains client department staff regarding finance policies and procedures and funding requirements; serves as liaison with client department representatives, vendors, and funding source representatives.
- Instructs department members in unrestricted and restricted funding requirements and methods and provides information for budget development.
- May coordinate and monitor data processing batches including suspense control, cash counts, and balancing.
- May supervise and/or lead lower graded staff and/or student employees.
- May assist in audits and prepare audit work papers.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS:
Bachelor's degree in Accounting, or in a related field including at least 12 credit hours of Accounting with no previous work experience required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Knowledge of federal and state financial regulations, and university financial policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of university accounting procedures involving procurement, travel, and/or employment.
- Knowledge of standard and/or fund accounting principles, methods, and applications.
- Account balancing and reconciling skills.
- Ability to set up and maintain financial accounts and ledgers.
- Knowledge of computerized information systems used in financial and/or accounting applications.
- Spreadsheet software skills to quantify and illustrate routine financial reports, statements, and/or projections.
- Ability to effectively communicate accounting information, policies, and/or procedures in a manner easily understood by the customer.
- Knowledge of general accounting principles.
- Knowledge of finance, accounting, budgeting, and cost control procedures.
- Ability to supervise and train assigned staff.
- Ability to analyze and interpret financial data and prepare financial reports, statements and/or projections.
Position requires: a) Analyzing and preparing financial reports, statements, and projections using standard and fund accounting principles, methods and applications on an automated accounting system or spreadsheets; b) Analyzing, reconciling, balancing and maintaining standard accounting records, and c) Preparing and monitoring budgets using finance, accounting, budgeting and cost control procedures.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL EFFORT:
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment.
- No or very limited physical effort required.
- No or very limited exposure to physical risk.
It is the policy of Kentucky State University not to discriminate against any individual in its educational programs, activities or employment on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, veteran status, age, religion or marital status. Rev. 12/4/2015