International Student Specialist
8AM - 5PM
$40,300 - $50,050
The International Student Specialist is available to students, families, and the campus community to interpret, and explain University policies and regulations. The incumbent is responsible for reviewing prospective students' financial records and other pertinent documents to determine students' eligibility to obtain a student visa and to attend UCR. The incumbent is familiar with Students and Exchange Visitors Information System (SEVIS) and acts as Designated School Official (DSO) in issuing and administering required U.S. government documents to international students; Serves as primary contact for prospective international students, answers incoming calls and email correspondence from international students seeking information about the university and their status of their I-20, Offers information and advice about international student services and programs, schedules appointments for in-depth advising, and makes referrals to other appropriate offices as needed. Works independently to provide information and interpretation of clearly defined policies, procedures, and regulations. Receives direction regarding more complex issues and/or program(s). Identifies individual student needs for programs and services and advises on appropriate programs and resources. Utilizing knowledge of federal regulations concerning international students, assists with campus compliance by updating international student records with required information gathered from various sources and entering important details into electronic database. Updates international student information in the International Student & Scholar Management System (ISSM) with attention to detail and complete accuracy.
Ability in problem identification and reasoning; ability to develop original ideas to solve problems.
Skills in judgment and decision-making, problem solving, identifying measures of system performance and the actions to improve performance.
Solid verbal and written communication skills.
Multicultural competencies; ability to work with diverse populations.
Knowledge of complex U.S. visa and immigration procedures, compliance issues, and employment eligibility/authorization for international students and scholars.
Working knowledge of advising and counseling techniques.
Demonstrated knowledge of SEVIS reporting requirements, as well as federal immigration laws and regulations pertaining to international students in F and J status. Demonstrated ability to research comprehend, analyze and apply immigration regulations
Knowledge of University-specific computer application programs and knowledge of University and departmental principles and procedures involved in risk assessment and evaluating risks as to likelihood and consequences.
In the Heart of Inland Southern California, UC Riverside is located on nearly 1,200 acres near Box Springs Mountain in Southern California; the park-like campus provides convenient access to the vibrant and growing Inland region. The campus is a living laboratory for the exploration of issues critical to growing communities'air, water, energy, transportation, politics, the arts, history and culture. UCR gives every student, faculty and staff member the resources to explore, engage, imagine and excel.
UC Riverside is recognized as one of the most ethnically diverse research universities in the country boasting several key rankings of which we are extremely proud.
- Washington Monthly (August 2016) ranked UC Riverside 12th in the nation in its annual University and College Survey. \
- Education Trust placed UC Riverside 9th in the nation for closing the graduation gap between black and white students by 1.7 percentage points.
- In QS World University Rankings 2016/2017, UC Riverside's Department of Philosophy is #1 in the world for the frequency with which published papers are cited by other philosophers.
- U.S. News and World Report Survey (September 2016) ranked UC Riverside 118th overall; earns "Great Schools, Great Prices."
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University (August 2016) Academic Ranking of World Universities ranked UC Riverside among the top 151 to 200 institutions. This survey bills itself as "the most trustworthy precursor of global rankings of the world's top 500 universities."
- U.S. News and World Report's Best Graduate Schools (2016) including:
- Graduate School of Education - 62nd among ranked schools
- Bourns College of Engineering - 71st among ranked schools
For information about our generous employee benefits package, visit: Employee Benefits Overview