Hazardous Materials Specialist - Labor and Employment Relations (105218)
Hazardous Materials Specialist
School of Labor and Employment Relations
University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign
Illinois is a world leader in research, teaching, and public engagement. We serve the state, the nation, and the world by creating knowledge, preparing students for lives of impact, and addressing critical societal needs through the transfer and application of knowledge. Illinois is the place where we embrace difference. We embrace it because we value it. Illinois is especially interested in candidates who can contribute, through their research, teaching, and/or service, to the diversity and excellence of the Illinois community.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu.
SHORT DESCRIPTION SUMMARIZING POSITION FUNCTIONS
Assist the Hazardous Materials Director in all programming areas of the Hazardous Material Training Program including grant writing/management, program development, outreach, delivery, and program logistics and serve as an authority, provide expertise, and perform highly specialized program development regarding hazardous materials to meet federal, state, and local standards.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Instruct courses for the Hazardous Materials Training Program while maintaining up-to-date knowledge of curriculum and clients.
- Market the program to ensure the goals of the grant are met.
- Maintain class equipment and inventory class materials. Must meet conditions related to keeping specialized equipment up to federal standards.
- Serve as backup for courses for instructors unable to meet their client's obligation.
- Exercise knowledge and methodology of specialized Hazmat field. Keep abreast of relevant legislation, rules, regulations, tools, procedures, technical specifications and developments in the field. Pursue professional development activities to expand knowledge and maintain currency.
- Counsel, advise, assist, schedule, and supervise instructors in all aspects of program activities. Also assist other appropriate University personnel to accomplish goals and objectives of the Hazardous Material Training program.
- Assemble and compose complex correspondence and reports requiring knowledge of the subject area including confidential information. Compositions will be informational or directive in nature.
- Develop proposals/recommendations for long term planning and projects directed toward improving the Program's image, both internally and externally.
- Attend weekly program and other meetings with organizations that support the outreach of the program such as LEPC, and professional organizations
- Bachelor's degree with substantial experience in Hazardous Materials, Industrial Hygiene, Safety, Compliance, Environmental Materials, or a closely related degree field. Experience developing and delivering both informal and formal educational programs. Evidence of strong interpersonal, written, verbal and teamwork skills. Demonstrated ability to build and maintain a diverse network and to outreach to new clients throughout the state.
- Extensive training certifications related to the Hazardous Material field. State of Illinois certified Hazardous Materials Operations, State of Illinois certified Hazardous Materials Technician, State of Illinois certified Hazardous Materials Specialist, State of Illinois certified Hazardous Materials Branch Officer, State of Illinois certified Rope Rescue I, II & Ill, State of Illinois certified Trench and Confined Space Rescue, and State of Illinois certified Instructor I & ILIEMA Certified Hazardous Materials Awareness, lnstructor OSHA Authorized Tramerlead Abatement CertIfications, Asbestos Certifications, Confined Space Training, Certified Hazardous Material Manager, DOT certifications.
SALARY: Salary will be commensurate with experience
APPOINTMENT STATUS: Regular, 100% time of appointment
PROPOSED STARTING DATE: As soon as possibility after the closing date.
Please create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your resume, cover letter, and the names, email addresses, and phone numbers of three professional references by the close date of December 19, 2018. All requested information must be submitted for your application to be considered.
For further information regarding application procedures, you may contact Christopher Hanson, 217-333-6010, [email protected] You may also visit http://www.ler.illinois.edu for additional information.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
College Name or Administrative Unit: LER
Category: 5-Education and Student Services
Title: Hazardous Materials Specialist - Labor and Employment Relations (105218)
Open Date: 12/05/2018
Close Date: 12/19/2018
Organization Name: ILIR-Administration