8AM - 5PM
$83,600 - $116,200
Under broadly defined direction, the Buyer 4 (Scientific Commodity Buyer) performs complex purchasing duties according to prescribed policies, procedures and/or defined instructions in a cost effective, ethical, efficient, timely, professional manner within a customer-service oriented environment. Formal bidding and conduct of complex purchasing negotiations are anticipated. Position is responsible for purchases of common goods and services, custom products/services, as well as complex, difficult and highly technical transactions, valued at $75,000 or less in response to campus needs. Position will also transact orders valued well over $75,000 in coordination with or under the general direction of the Procurement Manager. Purchases include a broad spectrum of materials, supplies, equipment and services across many commodity areas. Primary commodity emphasis for this particular position at this time (subject to change) is: Scientific and Medical related commodities. May also include: Electronic/Bench test equipment, Gases (cylinder and liquid), Laboratory equipment, Laboratory analysis services, Laboratory apparatus & small equipment, Laboratory chemicals, Laboratory supplies, Safety equipment/supplies for Laboratories, Lasers, Microscopes, Optical equipment (excluding photographic), X-Ray, across all disciplines of science and engineering.
Full knowledge of the purchasing function.
Ability to perform cost analysis and planning for major commodities.
Strong negotiating skills.
Ability to read, interpret, develop, and negotiate terms and conditions of contracts.
Advanced level of proficiency in the use of standard spreadsheet and word processing software.
Ability to communicate complex information to others verbally and in writing.
Ability to work well under pressure, organize and prioritize work with frequent interruptions.
Ability to prepare and /or present public presentations.
Ability to maintain accurate records.
Knowledge of UC procurement policies, the organization's departments and operations and Federal Acquisition Regulations.
Advanced skills in the use of ERP/financial systems (such as Oracle, PeopleSoft, SAP, etc.).
Knowledge in the primary commodity area (scientific and medical related).
Knowledge of UCR purchasing systems.
Knowledge of UC policy and procedure.
Knowledge of Public Contract Codes and regulations.
In the Heart of Inland Southern California, UC Riverside is located on nearly 1,200 acres near Box Springs Mountain in Southern California; the park-like campus provides convenient access to the vibrant and growing Inland region. The campus is a living laboratory for the exploration of issues critical to growing communities'air, water, energy, transportation, politics, the arts, history and culture. UCR gives every student, faculty and staff member the resources to explore, engage, imagine and excel.
UC Riverside is recognized as one of the most ethnically diverse research universities in the country boasting several key rankings of which we are extremely proud.
- Washington Monthly (August 2016) ranked UC Riverside 12th in the nation in its annual University and College Survey.
- Education Trust placed UC Riverside 9th in the nation for closing the graduation gap between black and white students by 1.7 percentage points.
- In QS World University Rankings 2016/2017, UC Riverside's Department of Philosophy is #1 in the world for the frequency with which published papers are cited by other philosophers.
- U.S. News and World Report Survey (September 2016) ranked UC Riverside 118th overall; earns "Great Schools, Great Prices."
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University (August 2016) Academic Ranking of World Universities ranked UC Riverside among the top 151 to 200 institutions. This survey bills itself as "the most trustworthy precursor of global rankings of the world's top 500 universities."
- U.S. News and World Report's Best Graduate Schools (2016) including:
- Graduate School of Education - 62nd among ranked schools
- Bourns College of Engineering - 71st among ranked schools
For information about our generous employee benefits package, visit: Employee Benefits Overview