Professional Research Asst
University of Colorado - Colorado School of Public Health
Professional Research Assistant
The University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.
The Centers for American Indian and Alaska Native Health (CAIANH) of the University of Colorado | Anschutz Medical Campus is seeking professional candidates to work in up to four patient navigation and motivational interviewing positions.
These positions are flexible and require a minimum of half-time to full-time hours (.50 to 1.0 FTE). Full benefits are available at .50 FTE and above.
Transition to Recovery is an intervention research project that will focus on assisting consumers' transition to substance abuse treatment following the successful completion of detoxification. This project is funded for at least four but no more than five years. Transition to Recovery is a randomized controlled trial that examines the role of patient navigation in the successful transition to substance abuse treatment following detoxification. All consumers who enroll in the study will receive motivational interviewing while half will be randomized to receive patient navigation. The study population will include all consumers who successfully complete the detoxification process at Gateway to Recovery operated by Fairbanks Native Association located in Fairbanks, Alaska.
These positions will be based in Fairbanks, Alaska and located within Gateway to Recovery, a detoxification program operated by the Fairbanks Native Association.
Nature of Work
The individuals in these Professional Research Assistant positions will work with a study team and Gateway to Recovery staff, and will have primary responsibility for providing patient navigation activities and motivational interviewing. This entails working in close collaboration with our partnering organization Gateway to Recovery, local substance abuse treatment services, and with consumers discharged from the detoxification facility. The work includes communication with consumers, recruitment, consent, collecting survey information, study information, and maintaining accurate and timely study records.
Examples of Work Performed
This position will function as a member of the Transition to Recovery team, working alongside other patient navigators, a study coordinator, our Alaska partners, and study investigators.
- Recruit consumers into the study.
- Interview and consent consumers including detailed information related to the study purpose, randomization process, length of the study, and follow-up.
- Collect all study documents and surveys ensuring accuracy and completion, and immediately record information.
- Conduct motivational interviewing.
- Perform duties related to patient navigation such as identifying consumer challenges related to entering substance abuse treatment and working with consumers to engage in the appropriate level of substance abuse treatment.
- Facilitate communication with providers.
- Coordinate services and assist in the transition of consumers to substance abuse treatment.
- Act as a patient advocate.
- Work in close collaboration and partnership with our Alaska Native partners to transition consumer to substance abuse treatment following detoxification.
- Follow research study protocol.
- Assist with additional duties as necessary.
Salary and Benefits:
$22,000 - $24,750 (at .50 FTE). FTE will be negotiated with selected candidates at the time of offer. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line.
Total Compensation Calculator: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/total-compensation
Diversity and Equity:
Please click here for information on disability accommodations: http://www.ucdenver.edu/about/departments/HR/jobs/Pages/JobsatCUDenver.aspx
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
- Bachelor's Degree. Education and relevant work experience may be substituted for the degree requirement on a year-for-year basis.
- Extensive knowledge of the social and cultural context of substance dependent consumers in the Fairbanks, Alaska area.
- Must have a valid driver's license, proof of valid auto liability insurance, reliable transportation, and be willing to travel throughout the Fairbanks area as needed.
- Demonstrate service with or knowledge of Alaska Native substance abuse treatment services and community based organizations in the Fairbanks area.
- Ability to work independently and as a team member.
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective, courteous working relationships with patients, co-workers, service providers, and other partners.
- Care or service of substance dependent consumers in Fairbanks area.
- Experience with outreach or community engagement in Fairbanks.
- Experience working with substance abuse treatment professionals.
- Experience with record keeping and data.
- Demonstrated HIPAA knowledge.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative and supportive relationships with our partnering organization, treatment services, project staff and consumers.
- Excellent customer service skills including communication with consumers, service providers, and clinic staff.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills with ability to prioritize tasks.
- Solid problem-solving skills and identification of local resources.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team-based setting, and also function effectively on an independent basis.
- Proficient in Microsoft office suite including Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Ability to adhere to protocols and project standards.
- Accurate, efficient, and dependable.
- Demonstrated good judgment.
- Ability to travel within the Fairbanks, Alaska area.
- Motivational interviewing and patient navigation training will be provided with monthly coaching and follow-up provided.
Special Instructions to Applicants:These positions are based in Fairbanks, Alaska, working out of the Gateway to Recovery program at Fairbanks Native Association. Funding is not available to support relocation costs or travel to/from the project site. Up to four (4) half-time to full-time (.50 to 1.0 FTE) positions will be filled. Full benefits are available at .50 FTE and above.
A background investigation is required for all prospective employees. Driving is required to perform some of the job duties of this position. Motor Vehicle Records will be included in the background investigation for this position.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:Applicants should include a detailed cover letter that specifically addresses their qualifications that are applicable to this position.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20283 - CSPH-AIANP AP/G
Posting Date: Dec 5, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Lori Trullinger
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00752867