Instructor-Genetic Counselor HRH
University of Colorado - School of Medicine
Colorado Clinic location (New)
The University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.
The University of Colorado is seeking a full-time Genetic Counselor with benefits for their Medical Oncology Division within the Department of Medicine, School of Medicine.
The Faculty Instructor, Genetic Counselor will provide clinical cancer risk assessment and genetic counseling in the Cancer Center and Hereditary Cancer Clinic. The Clinic is a premier source of clinical genetic services for both clinical service and research projects in our state and region.
Current Clinic Location: Littleton Multi-Specialty Practice, located at 5 West Dry Creek Circle, Littleton, CO 80120.
The clinic position will be relocating March 2019 to the UCHealth Highlands Ranch Hospital, Near Lucent Boulevard and C-470 in Highlands Ranch, Colorado.
Hospital opening 2019 - The new hospital in Highlands Ranch will join UCHealth's proud traditions of superior care and unwavering commitment to patients and the communities we serve. In addition to providing the highest-quality care close to home, our patients will also gain access to advanced treatments and innovative clinical trials across the entire UCHealth system. When it opens in early 2019, UCHealth Highlands Ranch Hospital will bring leading-edge care and advanced medicine to residents in one of the fastest growing areas of the country. Spanning approximately 340,000 square feet-with an adjacent 85,000-square-foot medical office building housing a two-story cancer center-the full-service hospital will open with approximately 87 inpatient beds and room to expand.
The University of Colorado Cancer Center is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center within a matrix organization consisting of 14 institutions including the University of Colorado, University of Colorado Hospital, the Denver Veterans Administration Hospital. It is within the top 20 Cancer Centers in the United States per national rankings.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
As part of a team including 5 genetic counselors, oncologists and gastroenterologists, this Genetic Counselor faculty position is responsible for community outreach:
- Providing cancer risk assessments to patients
- Conducting in-person genetic counseling sessions; pedigree creation using Progeny software
- Coordinating genetic testing and dissemination of results
- Assisting patients in obtaining appropriate medical management from their health-care providers
- Consult in an oncology team as a genetics specialist for newly diagnosed patients in the Cancer Center clinics with Medical Oncologists, screening/mental health professionals, or other specialists as required
- Will attend and participate in a variety of specialty tumor boards as well as various department meetings as required
- Supervise genetic counseling graduate students
- Enhance the Hereditary Cancer Clinic through educational outreach to grow demand for patient services and to grow the clinic into a genetic resource for the state and region; and to provide genetic expertise for Cancer Center researchers
- Participates as a team member in providing healthcare, effectively interacting with professional colleagues to provide comprehensive care as a responsible professional.
- Maintains accurate, legible, and confidential records. Charting must be current and up to date to ensure communication of patient needs/progress between healthcare providers.
HIPPA - Access to PHI
HIPPA - Operations
HIPAA - Payment
HIPAA - Research
HIPAA - Treatment
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line.
Total Compensation Calculator: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/total-compensation
Diversity and Equity:
Please click here for information on disability accommodations: http://www.ucdenver.edu/about/departments/HR/jobs/Pages/JobsatCUDenver.aspx
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
- BA/BS plus MS in Genetic Counseling
- Board Eligible or Certified in Genetic Counseling
- Must have completed at least one clinical rotation under in a Hereditary Cancer Clinic under the supervision of a Board-Certified Cancer Genetic Counselor
- A valid driver's license and car insurance is required.
Required Competencies: Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- The ideal candidate will have a demonstrated ability to work both independently and cooperatively with other clinical and research staff
- The candidate selected will have strong organizational, friendly communication, stellar writing, and interpersonal skills. We are looking for a self-starter personality and capable of trouble-shooting problems on their own. Good telephone skills are a must-have necessity
- Oncology Experience
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/careers, refer to job number 15261. Review of applications will continue until the position is filled. When applying applicants must include: 1) A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2) A current CV/resume 3) The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20214 - SOM-MED-Oncology
Posting Date: Dec 5, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Everlyn Sandoval
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00756587