Academic Advisor - Student Services Center (107329)
College of Media
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The Academic Advisor is responsible for the academic advising of students enrolled in the College of Media. As such, the advisor will holistically support the personal, educational, and vocational development of Media students. The College of Media enrolls approximately 1,100 undergraduate students each semester in the majors: Advertising, Computer Science + Advertising, Journalism, and Media & Cinema Studies. Student advising is housed in the College of Media's Student Services Center.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
• Serve as primary academic advisor for an advising caseload of 300+ students, including students from all departments within the College of Media.
- Be proficient regarding the College of Media's and the University's academic structure and degree requirements and communicate support resources to students.
- Be familiar with opportunities for students in terms of study abroad, Registered Student Organizations, internships, community involvement, honors, etc.
- Inspire, motivate, and mentor students by practicing a holistic, developmental advising approach.
- Monitor student progress toward degree and will be responsible for thorough record-keeping of all student contacts.
- Intensively work with students placed on academic probation or having issues that are affecting academic progress.
- Coordinate information with Student Services Center (SSC) personnel and academic departments within the College of Media.
• Oversee SSC initiatives for two areas including but not limited to programming around diversity, international students, transfer students (including Parkland Pathways), SSC social media, creation of a probation program, summer camp, and the like.
• Assist with responding to emails sent to the general SSC email account.
• Assist with recruiting by meeting with prospective students and families, working campus fairs and Orange and Blue Days, attending Mediapalooza and on-campus transfer info sessions.
• Facilitate a section of MDIA 100, the College's credit-bearing orientation course.
• Assist with the facilitation of Media summer camp(s) when necessary.
• Serve as the advising point of contact for one of the College's academic departments and the associated major(s).
• Facilitate the administrative oversight and communications for one of the College's minors and/or certificate programs.
• Collaborate when necessary with other SSC units such as Media Career Services and Recruiting.
• Assist with the development and review of the variety of materials used by SSC.
• May have opportunities to serve as student group advisor and to participate in domestic and international study trips.
• Serve as a committee member for student petitions.
• Assist in the review of ICT applications.
Required: Master's degree, preferably in higher education, media, liberal arts or related field. At least two years of experience in programs of assistance to students in higher education. Demonstrated ability to respond to concerns, motivations, and learning patterns of undergraduate students. Ability to work with computer database applications. Demonstrated ability and commitment to working with culturally diverse groups. Exceptional communication skills. Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with colleagues. Possess strong written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills.
Preferred: University of Illinois advising experience; knowledge of College of Media and its majors; experience using Banner and DARS (or similar) student record systems.
To ensure full consideration, complete applications must be submitted by January 1, 2019. The committee may begin reviewing applications before the close date but no decision will be made until after the close date. Please create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload a cover letter describing qualifications for the position, current resume and the names and contact information for three professional references. For further information regarding application procedures, you may contact Cassie Kenton at (217) 300-3667 or [email protected].
This is a full-time, 12-month academic professional appointment with a start date as soon as possible after the closing date. Salary will be commensurate with qualifications.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
College Name or Administrative Unit: College of Media
Category: 5-Education and Student Services
Title: Academic Advisor - Student Services Center (107329)
Open Date: 12/05/2018
Organization Name: College of Media Admin