Requisition # 2018-9677
Category Administrative Support
Full-Time / Part-Time Full-Time
The Department of Chemistry, a vibrant department of nearly 350 faculty, staff, researchers and students, seeks an energetic individual for a faculty assistant position to provide full administrative support to three or more faculty members (currently, two senior and one junior faculty), along with approximately 40 lab group members, combined.
The assistant will be responsible for general administrative duties such as travel, calendar scheduling, correspondence, and meeting logistics; and for coordinating sponsored research/grant submissions and management, processing expenses, ordering equipment and supplies and tracking purchases. This individual will also assist with publications, reports and other communications, and will manage course information and materials.
This is a 4-year, term position, with possibility of renewal, based on performance and funding.
Key responsibilities include:
- Manage and review spending on federal and corporate sponsored grants, as well as unrestricted accounts in research funding.
- Assist with proposal and budget preparation, in coordination with grants manager, coordinate sponsored research and other grant submissions for faculty members and lab groups, including entering all non-scientific data for grant applications and uploading via electronic grants systems.
- Collaborate with internal and external Co-PIs to ensure that proposal guidelines are followed and proposal materials are submitted in a timely manner.
- Proofread, edit, organize and submit progress reports, letters of recommendation/support, and research staff and graduate fellowships.
- Use Information Warehouse to review spending and budgets for travel, supplies, and equipment, and monitor balance of sponsored projects and anticipated award funding.
- Provide projections on sponsored projects and discretionary funds to advise on spending patterns and allocations, based on current spending, remaining budget, and anticipated award funding for the coming year.
- Purchase and track costs for equipment, office and lab supplies for research labs.
- Draft and edit correspondence; manage heavy calendar, mail, e-mail and phone calls; organize meetings and office hours.
- Assist with preparation and submission of faculty research publications including word processing, editing, and submitting technical articles, abstracts, reports, manuscripts, book chapters, and editorial reviews.
- Assist faculty members in managing course information in Blackboard and photocopying course materials.
- Plan and organize frequent travel and speaking schedules.
- Create detailed travel itineraries that include all trip logistics.
- Process reimbursements and travel vouchers for faculty, research staff and visitors.
- May be opportunities to engage in social media for the department.
- Associates or other 2-year degree or equivalent, plus 1-3 years minimum related experience.
- Intermediate level proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite including Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint.
- Strengths in word processing, proofreading and editing correspondence, reports and other documents, as well as experience in web site editing and updating.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills (both written and verbal), including the ability to interact effectively with all levels of the University.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, attention to detail, ability to take initiative and meet firm deadlines.
- Excellent organizational skills, the ability to work independently with a high level of accuracy and energy, manage multiple priorities simultaneously, and exercise discretion in obtaining and providing factual and confidential information.
- Knowledge of Blackboard and familiarity with Princeton University's Information Warehouse, PhotoShop, iCal, grants.gov, and COEUS systems.
- Interest in and experience with social media.
- Bachelor's degree.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Standard Weekly Hours
Eligible for Overtime
Essential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)
Estimated Appointment End Date
Comments Related to End Date
Four year term position
Physical Capacity Exam Required
Valid Driver's License Required
Connect With Us! Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
Princeton University job offers are contingent upon the candidate's successful completion of a background check, reference checks, and pre-employment screening, as applicable. The type and extent of background check, reference checks, and pre-employment screening may vary depending on the requirements and/or functions of the job and the candidate's current employment status with Princeton University.
Go to our careers site.