Manager, Student Financial Aid Systems & Analysis
Job Description Summary:
I. JOB OVERVIEW
The Office of Enrollment and the Student Experience is a mission-driven organization providing a cohesive experience throughout all phases of the student lifecycle, from the admissions and enrollment process through graduation and beyond, by supporting a connected, comprehensive and student-centered approach to the student experience. Reporting to the Senior Vice Provost for Enrollment and the Student Experience (ESE), the ESE includes the offices of undergraduate admissions, graduate enrollment, career services, student financial assistance, student success, student experience and student services, systems and analytics. The ESE is committed to a student-first mentality, utilizing a data-driven approach to continuous assessment and improvement across the organization.
The Office of Student Systems, Services and Analytics (SSSA) is a diverse team of functional areas including Colonial Student Services, ESE IT, and ESE Data Analysis, Reporting and Evaluation with responsibility for administering and supporting a wide range of services related to students' successful progression from enrollment through graduation. SSSA uses a student-focused approach to its responsibility for ensuring the integrity and continuity of all ESE data systems, structures and services and serving a critical role in the integration and continuing development of the ESE student systems, services and analytics functions. SSSA supports the university's mission as it relates to the management of enrollment and student experience data, systems and services. The SSSA team leads the successful planning of resources, processes, platforms and technologies, data and analyses that support enrollment and the student experience including the administration, collection, review and analysis of student data to inform decision-making. SSSA provides guidance and support on various policy matters and the development of strategies, collaborations and efficiencies that enhance overall enrollment and the student experience at the university.
The Financial Aid Systems team within ESE-IT is responsible for the day-to-day technical operations for the Office of Student Financial Assistance. This includes setup and oversight of functions within several systems including Banner and Perceptive Content. The team handles the import of financial aid applications (FAFSA and CSS Profile), setup for financial aid awarding strategies, and exchange of files for loan processing (federal and private), disbursement and reconciliation of funds, data review, analysis and reporting as well as support for end users within the office. The team also coordinates with other colleagues in ESE-IT, DIT and others across campus on both ongoing operational items as well as special initiatives and projects.
Reporting to the IT Director, the Manager, Financial Aid Systems & Analysis provides leadership and oversight for the team responsible for financial aid technical operations and system support. The ideal candidate will demonstrate a high aptitude for analytical work and possess the communication and technical skills necessary to liaise with the Division of Information Technology and colleagues across Enrollment and the Student Experience on various projects.
- Researches, designs, develops, documents, analyzes and recommends innovative solutions that leverage existing resources and provide economies of scale. Creates, tests and modifies Financial Aid computer systems for the university. Generates reports and documentation as needed with strategic alignment, root cause analysis and preventive actions to minimize service outages.
- Provide oversight for Financial Aid module configurations for annual aid year setup, validation tables and processes.
- Serves as high level escalation point in providing IT support for Financial Aid Systems, Faculty on complex issues that require cross discipline solutions. High level support may include end user training and education, endpoint management and assistance. May contribute to and maintain system standards and service documentation.
- Analyze business and operational needs in conjunction with existing and new systems and products to recommend, implement and support adoption of improvements
- Responsible for coordinating user access for financial assistance including university and US Department of Education systems.
- Participates in cross-functional projects that support strategic and process enhancement initiatives
- Responsible for vendor management, resource allocation, disaster planning
- Remains current on all federal, state, and institutional regulations and policies related to financial assistance
The position is based at GW's Virginia Science of Technology Campus in Ashburn, Virginia. The incumbent may perform other related duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.Minimum Qualifications:
Qualified candidates will hold a Bachelor's degree in an appropriate area of specialization plus 6 years of relevant professional experience, or, a Master's degree or higher in a relevant area of study plus 4 years of relevant professional experience. Degree must be conferred by the start date of the position. Degree requirements may be substituted with an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.Additional Required Licenses/Certifications/Posting Specific Minimum Qualifications: Preferred Qualifications:
- Experience working with relational databases and demonstrated aptitude in data analysis or data management
- Experience with Ellucian Banner (Accounts Receivable, Financial Aid and Student modules)
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access)
- Experience with reporting tools; experience and/or understanding of simple programming (e.g. SQL, Visual Basic, Java)
- Experience using Student Information Systems strongly preferred, including letter generation, population selection and group post processes
- Familiarity with SDLC management with focus on solicitation of requirements and test plan development and execution
- Project Management and/or higher education experience
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to prioritize and handle multiple deadlines and projects
- Organized and detail oriented
- Ability to work well both independently as well as collaboratively in a team environment.
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment
II. JOB DETAILS
Campus Location: Ashburn, Virginia College/School/Department: Enrollment Management Family Information Technology Sub-Family Systems Administration Stream Management Level Level 2 Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time Hours Per Week: 40+ Work Schedule: Monday through Friday 8:30am - 5:00pm, with occasional nights and weekends Position Designation: Essential: Employees who perform functions that have been deemed essential to maintaining business or academic operations. Employees are generally expected to work from home during an event and may be asked to physically report to work. Telework: No Required Background Check: Criminal History Screening, Education/Degree/Certifications Verification, Social Security Number Trace, and Sex Offender Registry Search Special Instructions to Applicants:
Employer will not sponsor for employment Visa statusInternal Applicants Only? Yes (University Wide) Posting Number: S007828 Job Open Date: 12/05/2018 Job Close Date: If temporary, grant funded or limited term appointment, position funded until: Background Screening Successful Completion of a Background Screening will be required as a condition of hire. EEO Statement:
The university is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that does not unlawfully discriminate in any of its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you currently work at GW?
- Cover Letter
Documents needed to Apply
- Cover Letter