Student Navigator/Instructional Support Specialist
Whatcom Community College welcomes applications for a Student Navigator/Instructional Support Specialist. The Student Navigator/Instructional Support Specialist will assist grant-funded (Hospital Employee Education & Training (HEET) and other allied health program students, including incumbent workers seeking healthcare certificates. Degree/certificate programs of focus include chemical dependency professional, certified nursing assistant and associate in nursing. The Navigator will be responsible for assisting in the design of and the implementation of an approach that allows for ongoing contact with students that helps them access needed academic, financial and social support, and successfully complete training. Navigational support/coaching will include a full range of career assessment, academic coaching, college transition services, instructor contact and referral services to students, in support of their academic attainment. This position will assist in recruitment, grant enrollment, and monitoring of student progress as required by the grants. Instructional support will be provided through leading student learning groups, supporting instruction activities, and tutoring. This position will report to the HEET grant/CDP program coordinator and work with them to support students, plan and implement program student success initiatives, prepare reports, and collect data.
May include, but are not limited to:
- Maintain on-campus and off-campus office hours for individual student check-ins and regular meetings with groups or cohorts of students;
- Assess students' academic and personal needs and barriers in order to determine appropriate wrap-around support services; refer students to on- and off- campus services and resources as appropriate;
- Assist in the recruitment of program students and in the employment of program graduates; in collaboration with the project team define and execute navigational services, plan milestones and outcomes, and work to ensure successful grant completion;
- Develop resources for students, including tutoring, study groups, and other services, that increase their success in education and training; develop resources for online learning support;
- Work with faculty in supporting targeted learning needs; assist students in navigating the Canvas online learning environment; provide support to instructors in face-to-face and online learning environments;
- Assist in the development of career plans for those participants who complete or are near completion; assist in identifying performance gaps and developing plans for the learning solutions.
- Provide accurate monitoring and tracking of all students; maintain student files to document contact, attendance, grades; maintain complete records and submit reporting on time;
- As part of the labor/management/education team, implement short and long-range plans to meet program needs; prepare for and participate in labor/ management/education meetings and virtual community;
- Build and maintain internal and external customer satisfaction with products and services provided by the College; maintain effective working relationships with diverse students, faculty and staff.
- Assist with marketing and outreach activities, to promote awareness of training courses, funding, and support resources to incumbent healthcare workers.
Qualifications, Salary and Appointment
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited institution.
- Instructional support experience in a community college or similar setting.
- Knowledge of methods and techniques of student instruction.
- Ability to respond to a variety of requests from students and instructors.
- Experience in higher education or job placement environment.
- Experience working with individuals from diverse backgrounds.
- Familiarity with healthcare and behavioral health sectors.
- Familiarity with community resources.
- Proficiency with web communication tools and Microsoft Office Suite.
Additional specific position requirements:
- Ability to provide academic student support as a supplement to classroom teaching.
- Valid driver's license and access to a reliable vehicle for reimbursable local travel.
Salary and Appointment:
- This is a full-time Administrative/Exempt position through June 30th, 2019, with potential for continuation based on grant funding. Exempt from Washington State civil service law with an annual salary based upon a range of 40,000-42,000.
- The position comes with a full benefit package, including health, dental, life, long term disability insurance and a retirement plan.
- As soon as can be arranged with successful candidate.
Application Due Date:
- For guaranteed consideration, application packets should be received by 4:59 pm December 17, 2018. Position open until filled.
To apply please visit us at: