International Housing Coordinator
Whatcom Community College is seeking a part-time (30 hours per week) Housing Coordinator to support International Programs by providing homestay host recruiting, coordination of international student arrivals, and administrative support for the homestay program for international students. The position works closely with the International Housing Manager, though requires the ability to work independently with minimal supervision. The position reports to the Director for International Programs and requires a very flexible schedule including daytime, evening, and weekend hours.
Include but are not limited to:
Homestay Recruitment Support:
- Provide front-line response to new host inquiries.
- Coordinate recruitment presentations for prospective host families.
- Screen and train first time homestay hosts and provide on-going support for all hosts.
- Work closely with International Housing Manager to identify effective homestay marketing techniques and develop annual and quarterly homestay marketing/recruitment plan.
- Conduct homestay host recruitment outreach in the community through activities such as presentations, distribution of fliers, contacting local businesses/clubs/community organizations/schools.
International Student Arrivals/Orientations:
- Coordinate process for airport arrivals and pick-up service.
- Coordinate and train airport pick-up assistants.
- Assist with homestay program orientations and workshops for hosts and students.
- Create and revise homestay program materials such as newsletters, brochures, fliers, host/student applications, and letter templates.
- Maintain records on homestay hosts and students, both digitally and hardcopy.
- Assist with management of social media and websites.
- Assist Housing Manager with host/student mediation through both office and home visits.
- Assist with student moves as needed.
- Provide after-hours/on-call support for hosts and students.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications, Salary and Appointment
- Bachelor's Degree or demonstrated experience in field.
- Valid Washington State driver's license, car, and auto insurance.
- Demonstrated experience with community organizations and volunteer recruitment.
- Experience working with international students and/or students from diverse cultural backgrounds.
- Experience with crisis or conflict management.
- Strong ability to network in the community.
- Experience with homestay programs.
- Working knowledge of Bellingham and Whatcom County.
- Experience with social media and creating content for websites.
- Knowledge of Microsoft software applications, including Access, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Word.
Successful candidate must demonstrate:
- Cross-cultural understanding and sensitivity.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal).
- Excellent problem solving skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Commitment to international education.
- Ability work collaboratively within a diverse community.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends.
Salary and Appointment:
- This is a part-time (30 hours per week), 12-month appointment, exempt from Washington State civil service law. Annual salary is $30,000.
- The position comes with a full benefit package, including health, dental, life, long term disability insurance and a retirement plan.
- Tentative start date is February 1st, 2019 or as soon as can be arranged with successful candidate.
Application Due Date:
- For guaranteed consideration, application packets should be received by 4:30pm December 19th, 2018. Position open until filled.
To apply please visit us at: