Research Assistant 2
Job Code: #7281
Title: Research Assistant 2
Department: Division of Hematology and Oncology
Working under general supervision, plan and carryout out project in accordance with general plans. The research project is to evaluate the role of physical activity (exercise) on functional status, body composition and on breast cancer. Other studies evaluate the utility of the Comprehensive Geriatric Assessments in the care of older cancer patients.
- Plan project to recruit, screen and identify eligible patients. Recruit and enroll patients. Discuss and obtain informed consent. Administer structured interviews and complete functional assessments to collect study data. (25%)
- Conduct participant exit interviews. (20%)
- Manage study data, including data entry, data cleaning and tracking of enrollment and study participation. Provide data analysis and generate reports. (20%)
- Perform regulatory functions such as IRB submissions and continuing reviews. (10%)
- Coordinate and attend monthly investigator’s meeting. Record and generate meeting minutes. Attend weekly meetings as scheduled. (10%)
- Oversee inventory. Order supplies. (5%)
- Train new staff and direct the work of students. (5%)
- Perform other duties as assigned, which may include but are not limited to transporting blood samples and working with the exercise team at The Gathering Place. (5%)
Department: Daily contact with PI, project manager, other collaborators and investigators to complete study procedures.
University: Regular contact with other collaborators and investigators during investigators’ meetings to discuss research.
External: Regular contact with study participants, exercise trainers and occupational and physical therapists to complete study procedures,.
Students: Daily contact with students who work/volunteer on the study to direct work.
This position has no direct supervision of staff employees. May train new staff and/or direct the work of students.
Education/Experience: Bachelor of Science degree and 1 to 3 years of related experience; or Associate's degree in an approved biotechnology program and 2 to 4 years of experience. Has or will need to obtain within the first six months Human Subjects Certification. Valid Ohio Driver’s license required.
- Must be highly organized
- Must be able to pay high attention to details with negligible/minimum error rate in carrying out study procedures and data entry.
- Must have excellent social and interpersonal skills
- Must have excellent interviewing skills
- Excellent command of English language
- Must have the ability to follow established protocols
- Able to function with minimum supervision
- Must have the ability to work collaboratively with clinicians, nurses, and other research team members.
- Must be able to work independently under limited supervision, be self-motivated, and find effective solutions for challenging data collection problems.
- Must have strong computer skills. Good knowledge of MS Office suite, especially Excel and Word. SAS knowledge is helpful but not essential.
- Ability to effectively interact with colleagues, supervisors and customers face to face.
- Ability to meet consistent attendance.
May need to transport blood samples to the research lab. Work will require occasional travel to multiple sites.
In employment, as in education, Case Western Reserve University is committed to Equal Opportunity and Diversity. Women, veterans, members of underrepresented minority groups, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Case Western Reserve University provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. Applicants requiring a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process should contact the Office of Inclusion, Diversity and Equal Opportunity at 216-368-8877 to request a reasonable accommodation. Determinations as to granting reasonable accommodations for any applicant will be made on a case-by-case basis.
NOTE / HOW TO APPLY
CWRU offers a flexible benefits package including tuition waiver for employees and dependents; Respond in confidence, including salary history: jobs.case.edu, human resources job code #7281.