Assistant Professor, Psychology (Social & Behavioral Sciences)
The Department of Social and Behavioral Sciences at Santa Fe College is seeking a nine (9) month Assistant Professor of Psychology to promote and encourage student success through quality instruction beginning Fall 2019.
Under general supervision, an Assistant Professor of Psychology will develop, prepare, and teach a variety of coursework consisting of General Psychology, Developmental Psychology, Social Psychology, and/or other lower division Psychology courses. Faculty may be assigned to SF’s main Northwest campus or housed at any of the College’s six educational centers. Candidates must have the flexibility to teach at any one of these different sites and at different times throughout the academic year. Additionally, course offerings may be taught during the day, evening, or online, as well as taught using other distance learning formats. Full-time faculty have a primary nine (9) month contract based on teaching 15 credit hours in the Fall and 15 credit hours in the Spring; teaching opportunities beyond contractual obligations, including during the summer, may be available for additional compensation based upon departmental need.
Responsibilities and duties include:
- Plan, organize, and deliver Psychology classes that promote student success within a community college setting.
- Collaborate with other faculty to evaluate, revise, and develop program curriculum and pedagogical methods that cultivate student learning and enhance the mastery of course content.
- Make use of classroom technologies to enhance the learning experiences of students.
- Support and promote the department mission which emphasizes a personalized, supportive learning environment that challenges students to achieve high levels of academic performance.
- Support and promote the mission of Santa Fe College which centers on excellence in teaching and learning through quality instruction, curriculum enhancement, faculty scholarship, professional development, and service.
- Assist with the implementation of college policies, objectives, and functions in accordance with the SF philosophy, mission, strategic initiatives, and procedures.
- Participate in departmental meetings and college committee work.
- Appropriately document student progress and maintain records including attendance and achievement of learning outcomes.
- Strictly honor the privacy, security, and confidentiality of student records and other sensitive information according to appropriate state, federal and college regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Provide service excellence through courteous, informed, accessible, and professional engagement.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Reports to: Chair, Social and Behavioral Sciences
Required: A Master’s degree in Psychology or a master’s degree with eighteen (18) graduate semester hours of core Psychology courses is required.
Additional Requirements: A criminal background check will be conducted.
Preferred: A Doctoral degree in Psychology or any of the qualifying fields, as well as teaching experience and the ability to incorporate appropriate instructional technology into coursework are preferred
Application Process: All applicants must submit a completed online SF Employment Application, an up-to-date resume, letter of intent, a teaching philosophy, as well as college transcripts to be considered for this position. The letter of intent must describe your interest in working as an Assistant Professor of Psychology at Santa Fe College and explains the skills, strengths and experience you can bring to this position. Three (3) letters of recommendation are strongly preferred at the time of application, however they are required prior to the extension of employment offers. Unofficial transcripts are only accepted for review purposes, official transcripts are required prior to any offer of employment being made.
Questions about the position may be directed to:
David Tegeder, Chair, Department of Social and Behavioral Sciences