Salary $72,368.44 Annually
Location Champaign, IL
Job Type Full-Time, Staff
Department Academic Services
Job Number LIB12.3.18
One of the largest employers in our area, Parkland faculty and staff are united in their passion for serving students. In addition to competitive salaries and robust benefits, you will enjoy the support, commitment to professional development, and collegial relationships that you will find here.
Parkland College is a fully accredited, public community college established to serve the needs of District 505, the third largest community college district in Illinois. Our college is a center for educational opportunity and community enrichment in east central Illinois and has earned a national reputation for its excellent academic standards, innovative programs, and quality instruction.
At Parkland we celebrate the diversity in both our community and our world. Our goal is to recognize, promote, utilize, and educate one another regarding the unique qualities and shared humanity of our people and cultures.
The Library Director provides leadership for the Parkland College Library with a special emphasis on promoting the library's inclusion in curricular and instructional designs and articulating a strategic vision for the library's present and future role in supporting the mission of the college. The Director supervises and ensures the quality of all aspects of the library's function, including public services, information literacy instruction, technical services, collection management, and College Archives.
The Library Director is a regular full-time, 12-month, administrative appointment based on a schedule established by the Dean of Learning Support. The position involves frequent handling of confidential information and records. Work contacts include students, administrators, faculty, staff, community-based organizations, and governmental agencies.
Applicants must submit:
- An online Parkland College employment application
- Cover letter
- Resume or CV
Essential Job Functions
- Serves as the leader and spokesperson for library services.
- Leads the strategic planning process and articulates a compelling vision for the library in alignment with the vision and strategic plans of the college.
- Leads the development of multi-year acquisition and facility usage plans.
- Collects, analyzes, and uses relevant data to inform decisions about library operations, policies, and strategic direction.
- Oversees the review, development, and implementation of library policies and procedures.
- Develops and manages the library budget.
- Directs, supervises, and evaluates the work of library faculty and staff, and encourages and supports their professional development.
- Promotes the value of the library among the faculty and encourages its inclusion within curricular and instructional designs.
- Collaborates with faculty to integrate information literacy concepts and skills into the curriculum.
- Promotes library services and ensures appropriate marketing of library services to all constituencies of the college.
- Maintains knowledge of current developments and trends in technology, best practices, and innovations related to library operations and the library's role in supporting student engagement and success.
- Represents Parkland College by active participation in appropriate professional organizations.
- Other duties as assigned by the Dean of Learning Support.
- Master's degree in Library Science (MLS/MLIS) from an American Library Association (ALA) accredited program.
- Five (5) years of professional librarian experience, including progressively responsible experience with collection management, discovery systems, library cataloging, and instructional services.
- Two (2) years of successful management experience in an academic library which includes staff supervision and budget management.
- Demonstrated ability to work comfortably and collaboratively in a culturally-diverse environment.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with diverse students, employees, and community members, including speaking in front of large and small groups and the ability to listen effectively and respond accordingly.
- Experience with strategic planning, assessment, and data-informed decision making.
- Demonstrated understanding of and experience with community colleges.
- Demonstrated experience implementing innovations that support student engagement and success.
Medical, Dental & Pharmacy Insurance
Parkland currently offers one health insurance plan option to full-time employees. The plan is a Qualified High Deductible Health Plan (QHDHP) with in-network deductibles of $4,000 for single coverage and $6,000 for family coverage. A separate deductible will apply for out of network providers. No monthly premium is charged for enrolling in the medical plan. Prescription benefits are included under the medical plan and are subject to the annual deductible.
A dental plan is offered separately to full-time employees. There is no cost for employee only coverage. A premium of $4.50/month is charged for family coverage. Preventive services are covered at 100%, general services at 80% and major services and orthodontics are covered at 50%. There is a plan year maximum benefit of $2,000 per person as well as a lifetime orthodontic benefit of $2,000.
Schedules of benefits for both the medical and dental plans are available through Human Resources. Employees are not required to enroll in the Parkland College medical and/or dental plans and do have the opportunity to make enrollment changes during Open Enrollment each year or if a qualifying event occurs. Please refer to the Summary Plan Description for more information.
Flexible Spending Account/Dependent Day Care Account
Parkland College provides full-time employees the opportunity to have pre-tax payroll deductions deposited into a Medical Flexible Spending Account (FSA) and/or a Dependent Day Care Account. Funds deducted for these accounts may only be reimbursed to the employee for eligible health or child care expenses as defined by the IRS. The annual maximum contribution for the Medical FSA is $2,600 and the annual maximum contribution for the Dependent Day Care Account is $5,000.
Enrollment in the Qualified High Deductible Health Plan may make an employee eligible to enroll in a Health Savings Account on an individual basis. Please see a Benefits Team member for more information.
Parkland provides twice the base salary in basic term life insurance benefits at no cost to the employee. This policy is double indemnity and has portability provisions if the employee separates from employment. During the first 30 days of employment the plan provides a guaranteed issue period where the employee may elect up to $150,000 in supplemental coverage for themselves and $100,000 in supplemental coverage for a spouse, no questions asked. Any coverage above those amounts or after the guaranteed issue period ends, will be subject to evidence of insurability. Child Optional Benefits can also be purchased in increments of $2,500 to a maximum of $10,000. Premium rates for supplemental coverage are available through Human Resources. Coverage is underwritten by Reliance Standard.
Long-Term Disability Coverage
The disability plan pays 60% of base salary after a 90 day elimination period. Coverage is underwritten by the Reliance Standard. This plan is provided at no cost to benefit eligible, full-time employees.
State Universities Retirement System (SURS)
Eligible employees will be certified in the State Universities Retirement System (SURS). A mandatory contribution of 8% will be deducted from gross pay. New members to SURS must choose from one of three retirement options within 6 months of their start date. This is a one time, lifetime, and irrevocable investment election. Failure to make an election within the 6 month time period will result in a default election to the Traditional plan. More detailed information will be provided by SURS soon after your start date. Information can also be found via their website at www.surs.org.
In addition to the 8% contribution to SURS, full-time community college employees in the State of Illinois also contribute .5% to the College Insurance Program for retirees.
Additional retirement savings options are available for employees via pre-tax payroll deductions to 403(b) and 457(b) plans. Account applications and salary reduction agreements are available in Human Resources. For additional information, schedule an appointment with the Benefits & Compensation Manager. There is no employer match for 403(b) or 457(b) contributions.
Paid Time Off
Administrative employees accrue sick, personal and vacation leave. Sick and personal leave are granted up front at the beginning of the fiscal year while vacation leave is accrued monthly.
Sick leave - 12 days per year, granted on July 1st. Employees starting mid-year will accrue a pro-rated amount for the remainder of the fiscal year. Sick leave is not subject to carryover limits.
Personal leave - 5 days per year, granted on July 1st. Employees starting mid-year will accrue a pro-rated amount for the remainder of the fiscal year. Personal leave not used by June 30th will roll to sick leave.
Vacation leave - Administrators earn 2 vacation days per month for a total of 24 vacation days per year. The maximum annual vacation carryover limit at June 30 for each administrative employee will be the lesser of 56 days or 10 days for each year of full-time service as an administrator at Parkland College.
Bereavement leave is available in the event of the death of a member of the employee's family. See a Benefits Team member for more information.
- Domestic Partner benefits for same and opposite sex domestic partners.
- Wellness Reimbursement up to $200 per fiscal year for the development of an individualized weight loss or smoking cessation program as needed by the employee.
- Employee Assistance Program that offers free, confidential counseling services for employees and members of their household.
- Payroll Direct Deposit
- Corporate Memberships at local fitness centers including The Fitness Center, Refinery and Mettler Center. Please contact these facilities directly for membership rates.
- Free use of Fitness Center on Parkland Campus via registration in the non-credit course for Fitness Center use and submission of a tuition waiver.
- Employee and Dependent Tuition Waivers for eligible Parkland courses.
- 14 paid holidays annually.
- Reduced work schedule during 8 week summer session with College closed on Fridays.
Parkland College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.