Vice President, Administrative Services
Vice President, Administrative Services
Job Type: Leadership
Department: Administrative Services
Under the direction of the Superintendent/President, the Vice President is responsible for management and operation of all business affairs of the District and for developing and recommending policy, goals and objectives for such services in support of student success. The Vice President provides leadership in the areas of fiscal services, operations and controls, budget development, purchasing, fiscal accountability, facilities services, maintenance and operations, information technology, construction and renovation projects, capital outlay and bond program, and public safety services. As the Chief Financial Officer, the Vice President is also responsible for other business functions of the District's operations, such as auxiliary organizations and contract services.
About College of the Desert
College of the Desert is located in Palm Desert, California, the geographic center of the beautiful Coachella Valley. Nestled among the backdrop of the Santa Rosa and San Jacinto mountains in eastern Riverside County, the Coachella Valley is a resort community that offers over 100 golf courses and a wide array of outdoor activities such as tennis, hiking, horseback riding, hot air ballooning, polo, bicycling, rock climbing, and swimming.
Founded in 1958, this two-year public college serves over 400,000 residents of eight local cities and the students of the Palm Springs, Desert Sands and Coachella Valley school districts. College of the Desert offers certificates and two-year Associate of Arts and Associate of Science degrees.
The College served over 15,700 students in the 2016-2017 academic year. COD is a federally recognized Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI), with almost 70% of the student body identifying as Hispanic. The Coachella Valley community recently passed a $577 million bond measure, allowing for College of the Desert to improve its current facilities and expand its campus locations. These improvements and expansion will assist with College of the Desert's goals of providing an education to students inside and outside of the Coachella Valley.
APPLICATION REVIEW AND INTERVIEW DATES
First review of applications begins Wednesday, January 16, 2019.
Please submit your application by Tuesday, January 15, 2019 at 11:59pm to be considered for first application review.
Interviews are tentatively scheduled for the week of February 11, 2019.
- Provide visionary leadership for the Administrative Services Department, including, but not limited to, fiscal services, facilities, public safety, maintenance and operations, contracts, purchasing information technology, construction, and bond activities.
- Plan, oversee, organize, direct and evaluate the operations of the District’s administrative services and various campus auxiliary and contracted services, including bookstore and food services.
- Institute, conduct and oversee periodic evaluations and external/internal examinations of District and non-District funds. Make recommendations to assure efficient and effective operations and proper fiscal controls of all District funds.
- Plan, oversee, organize and direct the development and implementation of the annual budget, assuring timeliness and accuracy. Prepare long-range financial forecasts to assist with institutional planning. Provide periodic reports assessing the District’s financial status. Assure fiscal compliance with laws, regulations and guidelines.
- Develop and recommend, in assigned areas of responsibility, policies for consideration by the Superintendent/President and the Board of Trustees, such as property acquisition, lease agreements, sources of financial support, etc.
- Participate in the oversight of the planning, design, and construction of new and renovated facilities. Interview and select architects, construction management firms, bond counsel, bond bankers, and other construction related consultants. Serve on design teams and keep the college community well informed of construction, renovation, and bond projects.
- Participate in the development and implementation of the Facilities Master Plan, including the operation, maintenance and space utilization of District facilities.
- Oversee the administration of District contracts. Act as an authorized agent for the District.
- Attend all Board of Trustee meetings. Oversee the preparation of agenda items. Assess the impact of proposed policies and legislation.
- Oversee all aspects of public safety services and emergency preparedness, including the District’s response to emergency incidents, to ensure safe learning and working environments.
- Serve as a member of the President’s Cabinet. Assist the Superintendent/President and other senior managers in achieving institutional goals and objectives in support of student success.
- Plan, organize, chair and attend a variety of meetings, including College Planning Council and Budget Advisory Subcommittee. Serve as a liaison to the District Foundation, Alumni Association and Auxiliaries. Participate in state and regional organizations and meetings to promote the District and community college education.
- Work collaboratively and maintain effective working relationships with college administrators, faculty, staff, and outside representatives to carry out the responsibilities of the position and further the mission of the college. Advocate for the community college using a collaborative, collegial leadership style that supports the District’s strategic plan and achievement of goals and objectives.
- Train, supervise, evaluate, and direct the work of personnel as assigned. Plan, organize, arrange, and attend appropriate training and staff development activities to ensure currency with ideas, research and practices in assigned areas of responsibility.
- Foster a culture of collaboration, mutual respect, innovation, and continuous improvement throughout the District; lead by example; actively participate in and support District-wide participatory governance and other collaborative processes; encourage professional excellence and promote an organizational culture of customer service, innovation, and quality services; and endorse and maintain a culture of inclusiveness, valuing differing views and cultural differences.
- Lead and assist in the accreditation process; ensure accreditation standards are met.
- Participate in strategic planning through providing expertise for contract negotiations, Strategic Master Plan, Educational Master Plan, and similar operational functions and documents.
- Perform additional duties and projects as assigned by the Superintendent/President.
Knowledge, experience and abilities to perform the above listed responsibilities and functions in an efficient, effective, harmonious manner.
A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in business administration, accounting, finance, or an area reasonably related to the position. Five (5) years of increasingly responsible management experience overseeing and administering finance, business and support operations, and supervision with at least two (2) years of senior level experience is required. Demonstrated sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic background of community college students.
A Master’s degree from an accredited institution and/or a CPA certificate is desired.
KNOWLEDGE OF: Principles and practices of financial management; principles and practices of generally accepted accounting principles; governmental accounting standards; the California Community College’s Budget and Accounting Manual; purchasing; use of computer applications in the management of business affairs; principles of business law, requests for proposals, and contracts; analytical tools necessary to draft budgets, monitor expenses, conduct financial research and analysis, identify trends and forecast needs; Federal, state, and local laws, regulations, funding formulas, and policies affecting business operations of a community college district; collective bargaining; capital outlay bond programs; local and state bond finance and regulations; legislative and administrative processes; principles of organization and management; principles and practices of information services/technology, software, and hardware related to community college operations; principles of supervision, training, and staff development; effective oral and written communication skills; principles and objectives of participatory governance; purpose, functions, policies, operating systems and programs of administrative units of the District.
ABILITY TO: Provide strategic leadership in planning, directing, and evaluating the business affairs of a district; relate business knowledge to the needs and characteristics of a collegiate environment; apply a high level of sound, independent judgment in the solution of complex business problems; establish priorities and integrate business services and programs into the overall management of the District; plan and direct diverse and complex operating programs and services; execute policies, rules, directions, and procedures of the District; prepare effective oral and written communications, reports and presentations; communicate effectively with faculty, staff, students, civic and other groups, and the general public; effectively utilize management information systems in the performance of duties; anticipate conditions and plan ahead; evaluate work methods and performance; persuade others as required to gain acceptance of recommendations and decisions; stimulate teamwork and promote cohesiveness to achieve business goals; establish and maintain effective relationships with the business community and administrative and executive offices of the District; exercise tact, diplomacy, originality, and resourcefulness; motivate, direct, and develop subordinate staff.
Working Conditions: WORKING CONDITIONS
Environment: Office environment. Sitting for extended periods of time, pushing and pulling, and visual acuity. The ability to type, use phone, stand intermittently, walk, bend and stoop, occasionally lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects of light to moderate weight, work at a computer, including sitting and viewing a monitor for various lengths of time, repetitive use of keyboard, mouse or other control device, dexterity of hands and fingers to operate keyboard, ability to communicate and provide information to others. Frequent interruptions. Some weekends and evenings required.
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
Weekly Working Hours: 40
Work Schedule & Hours:
Salary Schedule Range: Leadership Row XIV or Contract
Specific Departmental Needs:
Posting Number: 18-572
Number of Vacancies:
Desired Start Date:
Position End Date (if temporary):
Interview Date: 02/11/2019
Posting Open Date: 11/21/2018
Posting Close Date:
Open Until Filled: Yes
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Applications missing any of the required documents listed will not be considered. The following documents are required at the time of application:
- Resume: Include education and experience with start and end dates by month and year.
- Official or Unofficial Transcripts: Must be from an accredited institution and include institution name, degree awarded, and date degree awarded.
- Cover Letter: Address the responsibilities and the personal/professional competencies listed in the position announcement.
- List of Professional References: Add in your application at least 6 references which should include 2 faculty/administrators, 2 supervisors, and 2 staff. Applicants from other sectors may substitute other relevant references in lieu of faculty references.
- Supplemental Questions: Responses to each supplemental question can be inserted in the response field (capped at 1200 characters) within the application, or as a document upload. Applications without a response to each of the supplemental questions below will not be considered complete. Please keep your responses to no more than 3 pages total.
To apply, visit https://cod.peopleadmin.com/postings/3139
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency