Assistant Director of Grants IT Services
University Information Services (UIS) provides technical services and enterprise applications to the University of Colorado campuses and the Office of the President. UIS is committed to excellence in customer service and technical expertise. Through the development of enterprise applications, UIS supports the University as a whole with systems used by students, faculty, human resources employees, finance employees, and others.
The Assistant Director of Grants IT Services is responsible for implementing and maintaining functionality within the PeopleSoft Grants Suite modules (Grants Management, Project Costing, Cost Accounting, Billing, Accounts Receivable) and other Grants related components within the PeopleSoft system to support Post Award Management activities at all CU campuses. This position will work closely with campus stakeholders, campus IT partners, and UIS internal teams to align campus business requirements to the capabilities within the PS Grants suite, and work closely with internal UIS teams to implement and deliver critical functionality. Additionally, the Assistant Director will be responsible for planning and implementing delivered functionality via upgrades and selective PUM adoption to ensure CU takes advantage of the latest changes from Oracle. This position reports to the Sr. Director of Research and Grants IT Services and is exempt from the State of Colorado Classified Staff System.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
Grants IT Services Operations:
- Serves as the expert liaison to Grants Business Systems Analysts, Electronic Research Administration (eRA) team, other UIS teams and to campus teams on optimum configurations of the Grants Suite modules to support business requirements.
- Assists in managing the life cycle of on-going functional enhancements, both delivered and customized, within the PeopleSoft Grants to include business analysis, implementing configuration for business processes, writing functional design specifications, completing system testing, coordinating user acceptance testing, supporting training requirements, system documentation and communication, and coordinating promotion to the production system.
- Works closely with other Grants IT Services team members to ensure production support tickets are prioritized, estimates developed, resolved, and tested in a timely manner.
- Trains and mentors Grants Business Systems Analysts to improve team knowledge of the PeopleSoft Grants suite capabilities.
- Produces reports related to the status of Grants IT Services operational activities.
- Participates in the Higher Education community and with other Higher Education institutions to share knowledge and ensure CU is subscribing to industry trends and best practices.
- Seeks to understand the capabilities delivered by PeopleSoft in each update.
- Assists in implementation of critical functionality via PUM upgrade/Selective adoption cycles.
- Assists in Grants IT portfolio management by ensuring appropriate prioritization and status communication.
- Assists in develop technology options, risk assessments, business continuity, and business capability requirements, as requested.
- Works closely with the cross-CU Post Award offices and their leadership at each institution to identify pain points and opportunities.
- Uses knowledge of PeopleSoft Grants suite to create IT options to enable the business, both now and in the future, to align with the CU IT Governance Strategic Plan and yearly Annual Plan .
- Develops a deep knowledge of the business partner's business unit and builds positive relationships, both horizontally and vertically.
- Assists in stakeholder expectations management.
- Assists in knowledge sharing across campuses through design sessions and post award cross campus conference calls.
Internal Collaboration with UIS Teams:
- Works closely with R&G team members and with UIS technical development staff to ensure business requirements and user stories are consumable by the technical development team.
- Collaborates with other UIS teams on projects, initiatives, and routine operational activity.
- Supports system analysis and/or testing during maintenance windows.
- Manages small to medium sized projects with cross functional and technical teams.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
To be successful in this position, candidates will need the following:
- Knowledge of project management policies and best practices.
- Knowledge of PeopleSoft Grants Suite modules.
- Demonstrated skills working in project teams and leading through collaboration.
- Technical aptitude and the ability to assess and articulate risk variables.
- Ability to effectively operate with flexibility in a fast-paced, constantly evolving team environment.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Ability to exercise tact and courtesy in frequent contact with CU campus stakeholders.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
Who we are:
System Administration, which also houses the Office of the President, is located in the uptown neighborhood of Denver with an office in Broomfield and a few smaller offices located on the campuses. However, this position is located in Denver. Many of our departments support the educational and research missions of the four University of Colorado campuses. We provide diverse opportunities for professional development, innovation, and collaboration with talented staff and faculty.
The University of Colorado is committed to recruiting and supporting diversity and equality in education and employment. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans.
What we offer:
Salary: The salary range for this position is $120,000 - $130,000.
Benefits: The University of Colorado offers an excellent benefits package including:
- Medical: Multiple plan options
- Dental: Multiple plan options
- Additional Insurance: Disability, Life, Vision and Wellness
- Retirement 401(a) Plan: Employer contributes 10% of your gross pay
- Paid Time Off: Accruals over the year
- Vacation Day: 22
- Sick Days: 15
- Holiday Days: 10
- Tuition Benefit: System employees have the benefit on all campuses
- ECO Pass: RTD Bus and light rail service
- Additional Perks & Programs: Click here to access a few more Perks and Programs
Click here to access our Total Compensation Calculator to see what your total rewards could be at CU. This position is a University Staff position.
For more information on benefits programs, including eligibility, is available at www.cu.edu/employee-services/.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution of higher education. A combination of education, technology training and industry certifications, and related experience may substitute for the degree on a year for year basis.
- Five (5) years' experience supporting Post Award IT functions and systems to include the following:
- Experience configuring and maintaining the PeopleSoft 9.2 Grants suite modules for Post Award Grants Management
- Demonstrated understanding of grants post award administration business processes
- Experience with fit-gap analysis and translating business requirements to system requirements
- Experience writing Functional Design Specifications and system documentation
- Experience creating and executing Test Plans, and assisting in User Acceptance testing
- Experience troubleshooting and resolving production support issues
- Strong SQL and PS query experience
- Three (3) years of experience to include:
- Managing projects, services or processes within a department/service oriented team with proven ability to execute decisions using strategic and tactical skill-sets
- Working closely and effectively within a cross-functional team through projects and operations
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills; proven ability to effect and influence change through a collaborative and inclusive style
- One (1) year of experience with PeopleSoft upgrades and PUM/Selective adoption cycles
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, Information Systems, or other IT related area
- Post-baccalaureate degree
- Experience supporting custom interfaces between PeopleSoft Grants modules and other systems
- Previous experience at an institution of Higher Education either through direct employment or through consulting
- Experience with other PeopleSoft Finance/HCM modules
Special Instructions to Applicants:For full consideration, completed applications must be received by Friday, October 26, 2018. Those who do not apply by October 26, 2018 may or may not be considered. Reference checking is a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including email addresses, for up to five references as part of the search process for this position. *Please note: All application materials must be submitted through CU Careers; emailed materials will not be considered.*
The University of Colorado is committed to providing a safe and productive learning and living community. To achieve that goal, we conduct background investigations for all final applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial and/or motor vehicle history. The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires a verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:You must attach a cover letter, resume, and list of references to your application as three separate documents. Please ensure you check the "Job Specific Attachments" box next the each document on the "Required Documents" page of the application for the appropriate documents to be attached. For full consideration, please apply by October 26, 2018.
Job Category: Information Technology
Primary Location: Denver
Department: S0001 -- System Administration - 50119 - University Information Systems
Posting Date: Oct 4, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Lauren Morain
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00755150