Director of Student Life
University of Colorado Denver
Office of Student Life and Campus Community
Director of Student Life
Position #677029 - Requisition 15275
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
The University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.
The Office of Student Life and Campus Community has an opening for a full-time University Staff (unclassified) Director of Student Life position.
As Colorado's only public urban research university, the University of Colorado Denver educates a diverse student body through quality academics, ambitious research and creative work, and civic engagement in the city we call home. CU Denver educates more than 15,000 undergraduate and graduate students, and with easy access to the state's cultural, business and civic hub, our students benefit from immersive classroom and real-world experiences, supplemented by unparalleled internship and networking opportunities. As the most diverse research university in Colorado, our campus attracts top students and offers over more than 100 highly rated degree programs through eight schools and colleges, as well as more than 30 online degree programs. Home to over 40 research centers and institutes, CU Denver receives more than $25 million in sponsored research awards annually, allowing us to generate knowledge and create solutions to society's most complex problems. Read CU Denver Quick Facts here.
In the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers-CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
The Director of Student Life and Campus Community at the University of Colorado Denver leads the Office of Student Life and its areas of Student Leadership, Student Government, Greek Life, Student Organizations, Community Engagement, CU Sentry Student Newspaper, and Peer Advocate Leaders. The Director of Student Life will provide positive leadership to students and staff within the areas of Student Life and participate in the leadership functions of the Division of Student Development. The Director provides ongoing training, evaluation and supervision for 4-6 professional staff. The Director has a deep appreciation of the diversity of our staff and students and practices inclusivity in the leadership of Student Life. The Director will demonstrate ongoing integrity in financial functions and understand the importance of responsible stewardship and transparency in the use of student fees. The Director of Student Life will be collaborative and work together with other departments, and other Auraria institutions to deliver the best opportunities for development to our students. Director will work closely with the Residence Life Staff in coordinating programming and engagement opportunities for our new residence hall which is in the process of being built. This position will also be responsible for the following duties:
- Encouraging and supporting a campus culture that promotes student mental health, wellness, community, and student learning
- Budget management and procurement processes for Student Life, as well as an understanding of responsible uses of student fees
- Promoting and actively pursuing opportunities for collaboration between departments, colleges, and other Auraria institutions when the students will benefit from the collaboration
- Leading assessment efforts for all Student Life areas and coordinating annual reporting
- Facilitating all communication and collaboration with tri-institutional partners including Metropolitan State University of Denver's Office of Student Activities, Community College of Denver's Office of Student Life, and the Auraria Higher Education Center
- Serving in other areas assigned by the Assistant Vice Chancellor for Student Life and Residential Education
This description is a summary only and is describing the general level of work being performed, it is not intended to be all-inclusive. The duties of this position may change from time to time and/or based on business need. We reserve the right to add or delete duties and responsibilities at the discretion of the supervisor and/or hiring authority.
PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will be responsible for travel expenses related to the interview process and any relocation expenses, if applicable.
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring range for this position has been established at $66,493 to $83,619 and is commensurate with skills and experience. This position is not eligible for overtime compensation
Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line.
Total Compensation Calculator: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/total-compensation
- A bachelor's degree in education, communication, social science, business administration, higher education, counselling, human services, student affairs, or a directly related field from an accredited institution, as well as supervisory experience in higher education.
- Substitution: A combination of education and related technical/paraprofessional experience may be substituted for the bachelor's degree on a year for year basis.
- The position requires extensive, diverse and progressively responsible experience, including direct responsibility for supervising, hiring, training, evaluating and guiding professional development plans for Student Affairs.
- A master's degree in education, communication, social science, business administration, higher education, counseling, human services, student affairs, or a directly related field from an accredited institution
- Five or more years of experience supervising professional staff in student affairs
- Demonstrated experience with multiple budgets of varied sizes
- Experience managing diverse teams and working with a diverse student body
- Five or more years advising student groups
- Experience working with Greek Life
- 3-5 years of Residence Life experience
- Experience advising Student Government
- Ability to communicate effectively, both in writing and orally.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees at all levels throughout the institution.
- Outstanding customer service skills.
- Demonstrated commitment and leadership ability to advance diversity and inclusion.
- Ability to manage multiple projects at once
- A strong personal code of ethics with which to lead Student Life with integrity and transparency
- Strong ownership of work and be a proactive, strategic thinker
- Ability to work collaboratively with a wide variety of individuals with a commitment to working with a diverse campus population of students, staff, faculty, and campus partners
Diversity and Equity:
Please click here for information on disability accommodations: http://www.ucdenver.edu/about/departments/HR/jobs/Pages/JobsatCUDenver.aspx
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. Applications will be accepted until finalists are identified, but preference will be given to complete applications received by December 20, 2018. Those who do not apply by December 20, 2018 may or may not be considered.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:To apply, please visit: http://www.cu.edu/cu-careers and attach: 1. A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2. A current CV/resume 3. List of three to five professional references (we will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references) Questions should be directed to: Meloni Rudolph Crawford, [email protected]
Job Category: Student Services
Primary Location: Denver
Department: D0001 -- Denver Campus - 30043 - AVCASA-UL Student Life
Posting Date: Dec 4, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Meloni Rudolph Crawford
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00677029