Senior IT Business Analyst - USE
Areas of Intereset: Information Technology - Data and Cloud Management
Functional Areas: Office of Information Technology
Department: Office of Information Technology Administration (OIT)
Requisition Number: 14845
Location: Boulder, Colorado
Employment Type: University Staff
This position will provide an amazing opportunity to work on two of the most exciting projects coming out of OIT this fiscal year:
There are more than 100 student-facing systems across campus providing various services to CU Boulder students.The Unified Student Experience (USE) project aims to address this cognitive cacophony by creating a single, simple starting point from which any of these systems and processes can be accessed. This new portal blurs the lines between these systems so that students don't have to worry about which system performs which function but can accomplish a variety of tasks through one easy-to-USE interface. Learn more at: https://www.colorado.edu/unified-experience/
Our second strategic project is the Master’s of Science in Electrical Engineering (MS-EE) online degree. This project is pioneering a new approach to combining Massively Open Online Courses (MOOCs) with degree-seeking programs by offering a fully online degree with performance-based admissions in an innovative partnership with Coursera. In this role, you'll be working closely with OIT staff and academic administrators to provide student access to this exciting new Engineering offering.
As a Senior Business Analyst on these projects you will provide strategic IT planning and consultation and work with University and campus IT service providers to recommend and implement appropriate solutions. Working closely with departmental and campus leadership, campus IT governance groups, and system-wide stakeholders, you'll determine what IT services and applications can or should be deployed to meet those needs and objectives. You'll also work within OIT and collaboratively with University Information Systems, to ensure the campus IT architecture and services and overall university context are properly considered in any proposed IT solution.
Who We Are
The Office of Information Technology (OIT) is a dynamic organization, filled with energetic staff and students who aim to serve the campus and contribute to student success while supporting the University’s academic, research and service missions. We’re located in the heart of the beautiful CU Boulder campus. See what OIT is all about by watching our This is OIT video.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
- Recommend solutions for IT services and systems by working with stakeholders to establish needs and objectives, performing analysis that considers:
- The existing environment
- The overall University business and technical environment
- Campus IT architecture
- Best practices from peer institutions and industry
- Available technologies and services
- Fully articulate and communicate solutions, including working with campus business leaders to establish and maintain business cases, cost models, and budgets that support IT directions.
- Work across departmental boundaries and with senior university management to establish appropriate strategies for meeting campus IT needs.
- Perform functional analysis and requirements definition for specific IT solutions.
- For chosen solutions, as part of implementation/deployment, develop any necessary requirements and specifications possibly including process flow models, use cases or user stories, data models, and UML diagrams that fully communicate requirements and conditions of satisfaction.
- Professional development and participating in university and campus-wide IT planning efforts.
What You Should Know
This is a one-year, limited term appointment. While it may easily be the case that this appointment will renew or be made continuing, for the present we have only secured funding for the first year.
What We Can Offer
Base salary for this position will be market-determined and highly competitive, and will be commensurate with background and experience.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder.
Be Brilliant. Be Creative. Be Boulder.
What We Require
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited institution or a combination of education and experience as detailed below may be substituted for the degree on a year-for-year basis.
- 5 years’ of IT Business Analyst experience that includes:
- Both the development of high level strategy, business cases, process mapping, formal requirements specifications, design of complex systems and a documented ability to translate them into solutions.
- Successful experience working in highly complex policy and organizational environments.
- Strong analytical experience in developing, implementing, testing, maintaining and upgrading complex application systems.
What You Will Need
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, with the ability to move effortlessly between non-technical and highly technical audiences with clarity and aplomb.
- Ability to competently manage competing priorities in a fast-paced, deliverable-driven organization.
- Accountability with your colleagues as well as the client groups you will be supporting.
- Diplomacy and tact in difficult situations
- Flexibility and a willingness to be open to new solutions.
What We Would Like You To Have
- University Experience with Administrative Offices (Student Administration, Student Affairs, Academic Administration, Online Programs, etc.).
- Understanding of User Experience (UX) and User Interface (UI) design practices.
- Familiarity with Agile methodology, user story writing, and working in sprints.
- Certified Business Analysis Professional (CBAP, CCBA).
- Knowledge of Atlassian JIRA.
- Ability to learn and get up to speed thoroughly and quickly.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- A current resume.
- A cover letter that specifically addresses how your background and experience align with the requirements, qualifications and responsibilities of the position.
You will not be asked to upload references at this time.
Please apply by December 13, 2018 for consideration.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For consideration, applications must be submitted through CU Boulder Jobs.
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
The University of Colorado is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer