Laboratory Operations Manager - Department of Aerospace Engineering (104695)
Laboratory Operations Manager
Composite and Additive Manufacturing
Department of Aerospace Engineering
College of Engineering
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Within the Department of Aerospace Engineering (AE), the incumbent will manage composite/additive manufacturing facilities and work with faculty members and students on all composite/additive manufacturing projects.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Maintain and upgrade composite/additive laboratory equipment, including purchasing and maintaining inventory of supplies and consumables
- Oversee the instructional activity in the Aerospace Structures and Materials Lab and in the Composite and Additive Manufacturing Laboratory by working closely with faculty instructors, supporting instructional coursework, and conducting laboratory instructions
- Ensure that all equipment is clean and in working condition at all times
- Communicate with equipment manufacturers to coordinate repairs and site visits when necessary
- Train undergraduate and graduate students on composite/additive manufacturing equipment
- Act as the lab safety officer including assure compliance with all applicable safety regulations and training certification for the laboratory meeting OSHA, and other, requirements
- Develop and/or contribute to proposals for future laboratory infrastructure, educational initiatives, and other related activities
- Supervise hourly employees including hiring, training on processes, procedures, and safety, as well as, creating and enforcing work schedule and approving timesheets
- Assume additional appropriate related duties to further the mission of Aerospace Engineering
- Bachelor's degree in aerospace engineering, mechanical engineering, or field related to the position.
- Three years of professional experience in a materials research, testing, or processing laboratory in composites and/or additive manufacturing.
- Master's degree in aerospace engineering, mechanical engineering, or a closely related field.
- Five years of experience working in a materials research, testing, or processing laboratory in composites and/or additive manufacturing.
- Experience supervising laboratory users and/or support staff.
- Working knowledge of one or more of the following manufacturing methods: composites lay-up, hot-press, autoclave, (VA)RTM, Filament winding, metal or polymer Additive Manufacturing (AM), or other similar techniques.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
This is a full-time Civil Service Program Coordinator position appointed on a 12-month service basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after December 18, 2018. Salary is commensurate with experience.
APPLICATION PROCEDURES AND DEADLINE INFORMATION
To apply for this position, please create a candidate profile at https://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your cover letter, resume (months and years of employment must be included), and academic credentials (unoffical transcripts or diploma may be acceptable) by December 18, 2018. An online application will require names and contact information including email addresses for three references. In order to be considered as a transfer candidate, you must apply for the position. Applications not submitted through this website will not be considered. For further information regarding application procedures, you may contact Leslie Lewin Reinhart ([email protected]).
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
College Name or Administrative Unit: Engineering
Title: Laboratory Operations Manager - Department of Aerospace Engineering (104695)
Open Date: 12/04/2018
Close Date: 12/18/2018
Organization Name: Aerospace Engineering