Assistant Agricultural Research Technician - Department of Animal Sciences (107594)
Assistant Agricultural Research Technician
Department of Animal Sciences
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Employees in positions at this level of the series work in a team-based environment to perform a wide variety of basic duties in service and support for agricultural research, teaching, demonstration, and production units.
An Assistant Agricultural Research Technician typically -
• Receives, processes, stores, and rotates feed, forage, bedding, and other animal care and facilities supplies; works with field, forage, and other crops.
• Administers medications and treatments.
• Prepares livestock for teaching, research, and demonstration purposes.
• Conducts euthanasia procedures.
• Observes animals regularly, recognizing and reporting changes in eating or drinking habits and general behavior and outward signs of disease or abnormal appearance/behavior.
• Records and/or maintains animal health data, breeding data or other data necessary for operation of the unit.
• Collects specimens for diagnostic or environmental control procedures.
• Performs animal identification procedures.
• Performs agricultural crop production procedures to produce feed and forage for use by the agricultural animal units.
• Tills, cultivates and applies fertilizers to land in preparation for seeding with Agronomic crops.
• Performs pesticide application to insure optimum health of crops.
• Assists in harvesting plots by hand and machine, collecting seed samples and harvest measurements.
• May assist with public meetings and tours of facilities.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
1. High school diploma or GED
2. Possession of a valid Illinois vehicle operator's license(s).
3. Two (2) years (24 months) of experience and training:
a. General agricultural experience as appropriate performing general animal, livestock or related farming duties.
b. Vocational training specifically related to agriculture such as community college or vocational programs.
- 30 semester hours equals 1 year (12 months)
- Associate Degree (60 semester hours) equals 2 years (24 months)
For more information about this classification:
This Assistant Agricultural Research Technician position is a 100%-time, benefits-eligible civil service position. The work schedule is Monday - Friday, 6:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. with rotating weekends (40 hours per week, 12 months per year). The minimum salary is $18.85 per hour.
To apply, submit a Civil Service application at jobs.illinois.edu and an exam request form for Assistant Agricultural Research Technician. Documents such as college transcripts (unofficial are accepted), resumes, driver's license, professional licenses, and certifications should be uploaded to the application by the time you submit an exam request, as these documents may be required for your exam.
Do not apply if you are a current employee working in this classification. Current employees may request to be added to the Transfer List.
Please monitor your email (including spam or junk mail) for testing and other correspondence from [email protected] and [email protected].
For further information regarding application procedures, contact Staff Human Resources at 217-333-2137 or [email protected].
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. Other pre-employment assessments may be required, depending on the classification of Civil Service employment.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu.
College Name or Administrative Unit: Animal Sciences
Category: 7-Service Operations
Title: Assistant Agricultural Research Technician - Department of Animal Sciences (107594)
Open Date: 12/04/2018
Close Date: 12/10/2018
Organization Name: Animal Sciences